"West Virginia: Back Roads and Byways" West Virginia by Stephen-KarenConn

West Virginia Travel Guide: 1,053 reviews and 2,726 photos

Almost Heaven!

West Virginia is without doubt one of the most overlooked and under-rated states in America. It is a southern state that reaches into the North, and an eastern state that touches the Midwest. Formed out of the state of Virginia, during the Civil War, West Virginia is a rugged land of mountains, rivers, and hardy independent-minded people.

With fewer than two million people, West Virginia is one of the less populated states. However, locals jokingly say that if you could iron out the rugged terrain it would spread out as big as Texas. I lived in West Virginia for a year when I was in my twenties and fell in love with the state then. I've returned for visits many times since living there and it remains one of my favorite corners of America.

• Intro Updated Jul 30, 2006

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 8:10 AM

Gorgeous picture of Blackwater Creek Falls! We're going to try to see it soon since it's practically in our backyard. :-)

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Cathedral State Park is one of my favorites. It's the only stand of mixed virgin timber left in West Virginia. Going here really is almost a religious experience.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 12:20 AM

excellent mixture between history and nature. I liked WV a lot. Beautiful nature and so calm.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 6:20 PM

This is truly a much overlooked state. As always, you've captured it beautifully. Moving description of the Nancy Hanks memorial. I visited Lincoln's birthplace in KY. Another out of the way place, but well staffed and fairly crowded. A bit ironic.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Well that waterfall photo has to be one of the best photos I've seen on VT. What a great composition with the flowers in the foreground! West Virginia looks beautiful, enjoy your visit to Waterton.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 7:55 AM

The two songs, the spectacular photographs, and your descriptive narratives all make for excellent reading, dreaming, wishing. Thanks for the serene escape.

Stephen-KarenConn Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in West Virginia

Have you been to West Virginia?

Latest Activity in West Virginia