"Kansas Back Roads and Byways" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas by Stephen-KarenConn
Kansas Travel Guide: 2,298 reviews and 5,313 photos
Kansas takes its name from the Kansa Indians, whose name means "People of the South Wind." The region has been inhabited by diverse Native American tribes for thousands of years.
In 1541 Spanish explorer Francisco Vasques de Coronado became the first known European to set foot on the land. Coronado did not find the gold he was seeking, but he did find rich land. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark briefly stepped foot in Kansas in 1804, and fifty years later the territory was opened to white settlement by the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.
Located in the heart of the nation, Kansas has a great variation of climate, terrain flora and fauna. Most of the state lies in the region generally called the Great Plains and it is one of the leading agricultural states in the country.
People who talk of Kansas as being flat, featureless and boring obviously haven't explored the state very well. I've driven the entire 411-mile length of Kansas at least ten times, each by a different route, and I've also crossed the state by train. With every visit I discover new things to love about Kansas. And I'm looking forward to my next trip because there are many more beckoning corners of the state that I have yet to see.
- In a nutshell:Wide Open Spaces!
Kansas is known as The Sunflower State, and for good reason. These bright yellow wildflowers with dark eyes grow... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Kansas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kansas, My Home"
- "Eastern Kansas - Interesting!"
- "Kansas Back Roads and Byways"
- "Welcome to Wichita"
- "Kansas ? Sunflower State"
- "For The Travel Connoisseur"
- "KANSAS ? ?THERE?S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kansas
- Hotels in Kansas
- Transportation in Kansas
- Nightlife in Kansas
- Restaurants in Kansas
- Shopping in Kansas
- Warnings and Dangers in Kansas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kansas
- 47 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Kansas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kansas
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos