"Kansas Back Roads and Byways" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas by Stephen-KarenConn

Kansas Travel Guide: 2,272 reviews and 5,234 photos

Kansas takes its name from the Kansa Indians, whose name means "People of the South Wind." The region has been inhabited by diverse Native American tribes for thousands of years.

In 1541 Spanish explorer Francisco Vasques de Coronado became the first known European to set foot on the land. Coronado did not find the gold he was seeking, but he did find rich land. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark briefly stepped foot in Kansas in 1804, and fifty years later the territory was opened to white settlement by the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.

Located in the heart of the nation, Kansas has a great variation of climate, terrain flora and fauna. Most of the state lies in the region generally called the Great Plains and it is one of the leading agricultural states in the country.

People who talk of Kansas as being flat, featureless and boring obviously haven't explored the state very well. I've driven the entire 411-mile length of Kansas at least ten times, each by a different route, and I've also crossed the state by train. With every visit I discover new things to love about Kansas. And I'm looking forward to my next trip because there are many more beckoning corners of the state that I have yet to see.

• In a nutshell:Wide Open Spaces!
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2005

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Excelent tipabout Beecher Bibles. Ya'll stop by Fort Scott it makes a great road trip. Thanks & Happy Trails Randy

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 8:06 AM

Did you see Dorothy?? Hans and I have driven through Kansas on our way out west. I only recall seeing fields and silos. Love sunflowers & their state song "Home on the Range"

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Hey, there ARE things to do in Kansas, and some of them are not off the beaten path! I'm sure Kansas isn't so bad... I could have listed my stops at Ft Riley, Bob Dole's hometown, and Kansas City, Kansas! Joe

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 10:07 AM

Oh, Stephen, this is marvelous...a wealth of info, folklore, & personal good times. Frank Stoeaber's twine Ball must be fascinating. The Beecher Bible & Rifle Chur ch, origin of Home on the Range, and the family tradition of the Seersucker were fabulous.

Badges & Stats in Kansas