"Alabama Back Roads and Byways" Top 5 Page for this destination Alabama by Stephen-KarenConn

Alabama Travel Guide: 1,752 reviews and 4,460 photos

Alabama, which comes from the Creek Indian word for "Tribal Town," is one of the most geographically diverse of the United States, from sugar-white beaches on the Gulf of Mexico to lofty Appalachian Mountains in the northeast. There are sparsely populated wild areas, beautiful farms, bustling cities and quaint small towns oozing with Southern charm. On these pages we will share just a few of the many surprises you will find in this fascinating state which proudly calls itself the "Heart of Dixie."

• In a nutshell:Never Underestimate the South
  • Last visit to Alabama: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2007

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 4:33 PM

What an amazing Noccalula Falls within a Park. Well Stephen, we are into parks, so I guess Alabama will be a good starting point. Regards from Toronto

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Great tips on nature and historical places! I like and agree with your page nutshell: "Never Underestimate the South."

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 3:22 AM

Hans and I always drove through the great state of Alabama on our way down to Biloxi. I had no idea it had so much to offer, like Russell Cave and all the wonderful state parks. Nice overview Stephen.

• grets's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 2:49 AM

I never knew Alabama has so much to offer - thanks for enlightening me. Great page, very interesting. :-)

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 6:37 AM

whoa! this sounds great! history is almost as big a passion as pushing snow. AND campsites. thanks again for your great tips.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 1:50 AM

How little I saw. Didn't know there were places like Noccalula Falls. Great places you introduced and you have to know if the carparks full, the foods good.!

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 5:00 AM

what an intresting page, with good facts and nice pictures, thanks for sharing... well done...:)

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Wow, what a wonderful Page!!! Sounds great...Greetings, Peter

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2005 at 9:32 AM

Eh eeeeh... My husband's from Alabama so, I know the State. Excellent tip and you remind me I have to get to work on my Auburn page. And you are so right about the beaches, I loved it there.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 12:36 PM

The Kalico Kitchen looks all right. When I was in Alabama, I think I took all my meals at the Waffle House.

Badges & Stats in Alabama

Have you been to Alabama?

Latest Activity in Alabama