"America the Beautiful: My Home" United States of America by Stephen-KarenConn
United States of America Travel Guide: 285,773 reviews and 659,900 photos
I love the United States of America. I love her for one simple reason; America is my home. I was born and reared here, as were my parents, my grand parents, and several generations before.
As is true with the vast majority of people who call this American melting pot home, my ancestors came from many places: Ireland, Germany, Spain, France, England and perhaps other countries unknown. And at least some of my forebears were native Cherokee Indians. I think of myself as an All-American hybrid.
After being on VT for more than two years now, I have decided to build a general set of pages about this great land. My decision was inspired, at least in part, by a chance meeting with a businessman from Malaysia who happened to sit beside me on a flight between Honolulu and Hong Kong. He was returning home from six weeks in America and I asked him, "How much of our country did you see?"
"Oh," he replied with a confident air, "I saw all of it!"
That was amazing. I have lived in the United States not for 6 weeks but for 60 years, have traveled much, and do not consider that I have seen nearly all of this vast and varied land. I questioned the Malaysian brother, "All of it? Exactly what do you consider all of America to be?"
"I spent a week each in New York, Miami, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Seattle," he smiled. From coast-to- coast, from top-to-bottom and in the middle - I saw all of America."
I was stunned. In my opinion the six cities he had visited are an extremely limited introduction to this great country, especially if one stays in a downtown hotel and doesn't venture outside the city center, as he admitted he had done. Actually what he had experiencied is a limited urban America which is almost as foreign to many who live in this country as are London, Moscow or Hong Kong.
I wish every visitor to America could see not only our great cities, but our mid-sized cities as well, and also our small towns, rural villages, countryside, national and state parks, and untamed wilderness areas.
To show all that on this one set of pages would be impossible of course. But I have determined to at least give a small representative sample here.
I feel especially fortunate to have personally visited each of our 50 states, most of them several times. Unfortunately, I have not always taken good photos or kept the best records, so it's going to take some digging to get the material together. Here's my plan:
Must See Tips: A profile of one key city in each state. This may or may not be the state capitol.
General Tips: A page centered around a general symbol of each state. This may be a natural or historical landmark, or some other thing or place which represents the state.
Off the Beaten Path: A natural outdoor feature from each state, be it a mountain, waterfall, seashore, park or whatever.
Restaurants; Shopping; Accomodations: An overview of many of the franchise or chain establishments which may be found throughout the entire nation, or at least over a wide region of it.
These will be my pages, and they will no doubt reflect my own preceptions, prejudices, preferences. As is my style, I will build these in a hop-scotch fashion, here a little - there a little. However, I will try to keep each section in alphabetical order as much as possible.
I'll be working at this for a long time. You're invited to come back occasionally and check on my progress. Your comments or suggestions are always welcomed.
In June, 1994, I entered New Hampshire and Maine for the first time, completing my lifelong desire to visit each of the 50 United States. But there is still so much of this great country I have not yet seen. Now I am in process of visiting each of the 3,141 counties, or their equivilents, which comprise those states. To date I have visited more than 87% of them. To see a map of the counties I have visited click on this link:
J. Stephen Conn Counties Visited Map
- Pros:Some of the BEST people in the world live here!
- Cons:Some of the WORST people in the world live here!
- In a nutshell:Everyone Is Welcome in America!!!
Wal-Mart is the largest retail chain in the United States, and the the entire world for that matter. Wal-Mart, with... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 2,243 Reviews
- 5,012 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 248 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "America the Beautiful: My Home"
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Wrote a Review Decent Pizza Fast in United States of America Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Decent Pizza Fast"
- Commented on one of hunterV's United States of America travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos
Top United States of America hotels
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5858 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4178 Reviews - 7221 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 651 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9107 Reviews - 19361 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1271 Reviews - 2940 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos