"George Town, Grand Cayman Island" George Town by Stephen-KarenConn

George Town Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 68 photos

George Town, Capital of the Cayman Islands, is a popular stop for cruise ships to the Caribbean, as well as being a Mecca for sun worshippers, scuba divers, and offshore banking. Karen and I have been here twice, and thoroughly enjoyed both visits. We made an effort to not only see the obvious tourist shops which dominate the city, but also sought out other places cultural and historic interest which most visitors seem to overlook.

I will be building separate pages for some of the places we visited and sights we saw on Grand Cayman Island. This page focuses on the capital city of George Town.

• Intro Updated Dec 12, 2007

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM

We will be here in Feb 2011 on the Jewel of the Seas. Hope we have a great as time as you both did.

• SeanAOHara's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Nice information about George Town, Grand Cayman. My wife's grandfather, Capt. Rayal Brazley Bodden (1885-1976), designed and built Elmslie Memorial Church and many of her relatives are still members of the congregation (we live in California).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Nice to know what you would see if cruising into George Town. Agree with you about cruising, we choose the cruise visiting the ports that we would most like to see!

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Great info. I also arrived by cruise ship, and did not see any of the sights you mentioned. We spent most of the day with the stingrays! I did bring home a couple of rum cakes though!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Ah, those blue skies and white beaches with tropical plants all around!! George Town is looking very inviting, especially with the -44 C windchill forecast for tonight. Great tips on 'cruising' and 'shopping' too!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM

Lovely page, enjoy the photos, the culture and stories :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Excellent info! I'm considering a cruise for the early part of 2008 to the Caribbean, specifically for the reason you mention :-) I'm surprised that VT let you type in Big Black Dick ha ha

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Nice tips Stephen!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Glad I returned! I agree with your explanation about the value of cruises. I also enjoyed your information about local guides. I just have to return when you are done.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM

I never knew it was possible to swim with the sting rays. I take it you didn't get stung?

Badges & Stats in George Town

Have you been to George Town?

Latest Activity in George Town