"Basseterre: Classical Caribbean" Basseterre by Stephen-KarenConn
Basseterre Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 140 photos
Basseterre, St. Kitts, is a classical Caribbean port, with quaint colorful streets, colonial architecture, and friendly people. It is a small town, but the the largest on this island of only 40,700 people.
Located at the juncture of the Windward and Leeward islands, St. Kitts is still well off the beaten path for most visitors to the West Indies. However, just within the past 3 or 4 years the local political leadership has decided to begin developing a tourism industry to replace the production of sugarcane, which has been the mainstay of the island's economy for three centuries but is no longer profitable.
Karen and I recently made a stop at St. Kitts aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship, Empress of the Seas. Of about two dozen Caribbean islands I have visited over the years, this is definitely one of my favorites. It has a richer history, friendlier people, and more magnificent scenery than many of the better known islands. Locals call St. Kitts "The Real Caribbean," and I agree with them. I just hope they are successful in their stated goal to keep it that way, while changing from an agricultural economy to one based on tourism.
But with a new dock, new airport, and a new resolve on the part of the island's inhabitants to begin promoting tourism, the face of this idyllic spot is destined to change forever. If you ever plan to visit Basseterre and St. Kitts, I recommend you do so as soon as possible, before the crowds arrive.
There are only a few restaurants in Basseterre, and I'll admit that we didn't eat at any of them, since our meals on... more travel advice
St. Kitts was ruled by Great Britain for more than 200 years, and visitors to the island will see many reminders of that... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Basseterre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basseterre: Classical Caribbean"
- "Two Days out of Time"
- "St. Kitts and Nevis"
- "St. Christopher's Basseterre"
- "Visiting Ross University, School of Veterinary Med"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basseterre
- Hotels in Basseterre
- Transportation in Basseterre
- Restaurants in Basseterre
- Shopping in Basseterre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Basseterre
- 14 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Basseterre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basseterre
Photos in BasseterreSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos