"Isla de Roatan, Honduras" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Roatán by Stephen-KarenConn
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 721 photos
Roatán is the largest of the beautiful Bay Islands, located off the Caribbean coast of Central America. It is approximately 60 kilometres long, and less than 8 kilometres wide at its widest point, lying between the lesser known islands of Utila and Guaraja.
The capital and most populated town is Coxen Hole, located in the Southwest of the island. There is an airport and a dock for cruise ships here. Other important towns - all of them small - include French Harbour, West End, and Oak Ridge.
Roatan is especially popular with divers, being near the second largest barrier reef in the world, after Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Modern conveniences such as electricity and paved roads did not come to Roatan until the last few years of the 20th century and it is much less developed than most other Caribbean destinations. However, tourism is now growing rapidly and in the past decade it has replaced fishing as Roatan's most important economic sector.
The first modern population on Roatan came the the island from the British Caribbean. As a holdover of that history, most islanders today speak English, although Spanish is the official language of Honduras and is spoken on the mainland.
On his fourth voyage to the new world (1502-1504) Christopher Columbus came to the Bay islands, visiting the neighboring Island of Guanaja. Soon afterwards the Spanish began using the Islands for purposes of slave raiding, and no original Native American communities survived.
It's not often that we get to eat at a restaurant that doesn't have running water, so Karen and I got a kick out of... more travel advice
French Harbour, a bustling community northeast of Coxen Hole, is home of one of the largest fishing fleets in the... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Isla de Roatán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Island of Roatan - Honduras"
- "Isla de Roatan, Honduras"
- "Roatan of Las Islas de la Bahia"
- "A Nice Balance Of Shear Relaxation & Terror !"
- "La isla Bonita"
- "The Adventure"
- "Perfect Mixture of Caribbean and Central America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Roatán
- Hotels in Isla de Roatán
- Transportation in Isla de Roatán
- Nightlife in Isla de Roatán
- Restaurants in Isla de Roatán
- Shopping in Isla de Roatán
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Roatán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Roatán
- 21 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Isla de Roatán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Roatán
Photos in Isla de RoatánSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos