"Altun Ha, an Ancient Mayan City of Belize" Altun Ha by Stephen-KarenConn
Altun Ha Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 63 photos
Altun Ha, located about 6 miles inland from the Caribbean Sea and 30 miles north of Belize City, is an ancient Mayan center surrounded by tropical jungle. Small in comparison to better known Mayan sites, Altun Ha once flourished on the periphery of Mayan civilization. The true name of the city is unknown. It is called Altun Ha (Mayan for Rockstone Pond) for the name of a nearby village.
The site includes 500 or more visible structures, however only a few of the more prominent ones are easily seen by visitors. Earliest evidence of habitation dates to 200 B.C. The major structures were built in the 6th and 7th centuries A.D. At its peak, Altun Ha and the surrounding vicinity had a population which would have approached 10,000, with about 3,00 inhabitants in the central core of the city.
As is the case with all Mayan ruins, much of this atypical site is shrouded in mystery, which makes it a particularly appealing place for the curious traveler to visit.
One of the neat things about Altun Ha is that the temples may be climbed by visitors. Karen and I climbed to the top of... more travel advice
Plaza B, is similar to Plaza A, but differs in its sequence of construction. Little is known about most of the six... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Altun Ha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Altun Ha, an Ancient Mayan City of Belize"
- "Altun Ha"
- "Altun Ha - ruins of an ancient Maya"
- "Ancient Mayan Site"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Altun Ha
- 10 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Altun Ha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altun Ha
Photos in Altun HaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos