"The Ruins and the Cove of Tulum & Caribbean Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum by Waalewiener

Tulum Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,356 photos

Main Castle of Tulum Temple of the Steles at right

Tulum (which means Fence or Wall )is an old City ,the name Tulum was given because of the wall surrounding the old buildings.
In the early 1500's the Spanish explorers saw from their ships this Castle high up this hill and they saw this City and they were surprised by its large size.
During the years Tulum was occupied several times by rebels
Because of the Tulum wall surrounding the City it was a fortress and hard to conquer.
Tulum is now a nice place to visit ,we enjoyed our time here very much and many other people do visit here.Tulum was one of the Mayan Cities in the Yucutan Peninsula.

The Temple of the wind

Way up a hill on top of the
rocks on a cliff you see the Temple of the wind ,there is a circular platform that was constructed to build a Temple on.
There Temples were dedicated to
'' Ehecatl '' the God of the wind.It is believed that in this Cove area ships would come in and out with their cargo as wells as fishing boats making this a busy trading area for the Mayans
This is a beautiful sight to see and everyone did take pictures of this awsome view .I will have several picture .

This is the Papaya Playa .a beautiful beach

There is LoriPori on a cliff,and in the back the beautiful beach '' PAPAYA PLAYA. ''.This beach is great to be after a long day and walk for relaxing and sunbathing.
There is a large wooden stairway that will bring you down to this beach and I will have a picture of this stairway in a tip.
So when you visit Tulum do not forget Bathing suit ,Towel and Sunscreen and of course your Camera.

• Pros:The Tulum ruins are great to see and you should go see them if you can
  • In a nutshell:Spend a nice day at the beach after you seen the Ruins ,it will be great
  • Last visit to Tulum: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2005

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Tulum was truly wonderful and the cool breeze from the ocean was nice...I think I forgot about that wooden staircase...Norman :)

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Nice oages and photos on Tulum . Our trip was before digital cameras so our pictures are limited! Thanks for sharing!

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 7:08 PM

The water looks so pretty! What is your favorite place in Mexico?

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2006 at 2:59 PM

I sure hope we travel to see the ruins in Mexico at some point in our lives...it all looks so mysterious and interesting!! Thanks for the tour, Hansi...

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Great Tulum pages, so much detail. I really enjoyed my time there too and I saw an iguana!

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 8:36 AM

We'll be in Cancun soon and your page has given me ideas for an excursion. Very helpful tips, thanks!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 12:44 AM

Would love to see these ruins, must have been really something in its time.. amazing age. Love the Iguanas too.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 6:28 AM

Excellent work, Hans. These pages were very enjoyable to read - You had me smiling. Sorry I didn't have time to visit Tulum when I was in Cancun. Maybe next time....

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 4:08 AM

I enjoyed your page from the begining to the end. Interesting and beautiful. Thanks Hans. Greets.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2005 at 12:33 PM

This looks like the kind of place I'd really enjoy, I've never been to this part of Mexico yet. Great close-up shot of that iguana!

Waalewiener

“Travel now , don't wait until it is too late”

Badges & Stats in Tulum