"Field a village where railway history was made." Field by Waalewiener
Field Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 42 photos
'' Field ''This is the Village where railway history was made , a small Village with fantastic surroundings ,to make the West accessable the Railway Engineers had to find a way to get the trains past these enormous mountains.
It will be explained by the pictures in this page all pictures are taken by me with camera from the information centre.
As trains snaked their way up the Kicking Horse Pass and the continental divide ,they circle deep into the mountainson both sides of this valley.
The two giant underground loops they follow are the Spiral Tunnels.
Because each tunnel makes a complete spiralling turn,trains actually cross over themselves.
From this viewpoint you might see an engine emerge from the upper portel while 15 km below it ,the last cars are still entering the lower portal.!
The trains did not always have the benefit of this gentle ,winding grade
up to the pass. From 1885 until the Spiral Tunnel opened in 1909, steam engines inched up the treacherously steep track.
Coming down was a nightmare .
Plunging at the rate of 45 meters to each kilometer, this was the steepest part of the entire Canadian Pacific mainline.
Wrecks and runaway trains were common on the so called '' Big Hill ''.
Yoho's rugged mountains created headaches for the trainmen
But the railway opened the way for tourist,and for the tourist the Canadian Rockies meant inspiration and adventure.Their enthousiasm prompted the creation of Yoho National Park.
The plaque here explains that
Dr James Hector ,surgeon to the expedition,was kicked by a horse while exploring this expedition.
Click on picture for explanation.
- Pros:Field is a nice little Village with fantastic views all around.
- Cons:the Village is vey small ,and not much going on there
- In a nutshell:Stop ,have a look ,enjoy the view ,and be on your way.
This is a picture of the Field Information Centre ,off course all the information on this Field page I found at, and... more travel advice
This is a picture of a Spiral tunnel exit or entrance I am not sure , it must have been really difficult building these... more travel advice
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Field Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Field a village where railway history was made."
- "A Quick Fly-By to Field"
- "Emerald Lake Lodge Restaurant"
- "Portal through the Kicking Horse Pass"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Field
- 17 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Field?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Field
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT Marriages"
- Commented on one of kymbanm's Field travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "'' Field '' a Village between Lake Louise & Golden"
- created a Field Travelogue "'' Field '' a Village between Lake Louise & Golden"
- Wrote a Review The Field information Centre. in Field Favorites
Photos in FieldSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues