"Niagara on the Lake, is the prettiest in Ontario." Top 5 Page for this destination Niagara-on-the-Lake by Waalewiener

Niagara-on-the-Lake Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 292 photos

This is a very beautiful Town

This was the very first thing that we saw when we came to Niagara on the Lake , it was the first sign we saw and it was beautiful sign and we knew that this was going to be a very pretty Town,and you will see that Niagara on the Lake is a great Town to visit .It has a lot of History .
In 1781 the British Government purchased land from the Mississaugas; a strip of land 6 miles wide along the western bank of the Niagara River ,In 1791 part of the military reserve at the mouth of the river was chosen as the future townsite.

By 1796, 70 new homes were built, and the town continued to prosper as the economic, administrative and judicial centre for the Niagara Peninsula. The physical appearance of the town, with the exception of the powder magazine at Fort George was virtually erased by the burning of the town by the Americans during the war of 1812.

Niagara on the lake has had three Jail houses The first was in 1817 and burned down on the site where this heritage sign now stands. The site is a public park. The picture on the left is of the third Court House and Jail in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Built in 1847. The building remains on the Main Street of Niagara-on-the-Lake today and is used for other
purposes and also the Shaw Festival
The Courthouse Theatre is a national historic site that dates back from the 1840's.
The Shaw Festival began here in 1962,the upperlevel of this building houses a 327 seat auditorium.

• Pros:what can say about a Town that has been voted prettiest Town in Ontario
  • In a nutshell:A Clean beautiful well kept Town with great Culture and History
  • Last visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 10, 2004

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Great tips. I love the old-style architecture. Sorry I missed your birthday. Hope it was enchanting.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Hi, interesting page thanks Hansi, pity i didnt go stop in when I drove up to Niagara and Toronto a few years back but thanks for the VT visit!

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2008 at 9:00 AM

got many tips for my customer travel guide on niagara region. your travelogues are great. seems you had a wonderful time out :-)

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 8:01 PM

I have never heard of Fort George. Now it is a must see when I go back someday! Thank you for sharing.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 1:34 PM

Pretty little town = Loved the old buildings = would love the horse & carriage ride!!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 7:03 PM

Niagara-on-the-Lake certainly has its charms. Personally if I stayed in the Niagara region for a couple of nights I would rather stay in one of the fine hotels in this town than the souless ones in Niagara Falls.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2005 at 11:23 PM

Thanks for a look at this nice place, eh.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2005 at 12:00 PM

A horse drawn carriage looks great. Another excellent well written page. Greets.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 10:45 AM

The Kiely Inn Dining Room looks great. Perhaps I can take you and Lori there when I visit? I love Victorian elegance.

• galy's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 7:52 AM

hi Hans and Lori I've been in Niagra a/t Lake 10 years ago and loved it. I still remember that beautiful Bank building. Have many more great trips

Waalewiener

“Travel now , don't wait until it is too late”

Badges & Stats in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Have you been to Niagara-on-the-Lake?