"AFTERNOON & EVENING AT SANTA MONICA PIER." Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica by Waalewiener
Santa Monica Travel Guide: 475 reviews and 1,113 photos
After our stay in El Segundo ,and after a great weekend at the VT 3 day Bash we drove to Venice ,and Marina del Rey ,where we stayed overnight in a Motel ,then we head out to see this beautiful '' SANTA MONICA PIER.''
It was allready getting later in the afternoon and we lucked out and we wittnessed a fantastic sunset ,from the boardwalk of the Pier as well the beautiful walking path near the road.
It was a fantastic evening and we were very fortunate that we had such great weather .
Enjoy all the pictures .
The next chapter will give some info about the pier which I found in the website that I will put a link in the Tips that I make .Enjoy.
This Pier in '' SANTA MONICA '' is famous and a great
attraction for Santa Monica and area.
On September 9 1909 this Pier opened for the public.
It took 16 months to build this Pier .
But when it opened people came in droves to see this marvelous Pier and many bands performed , swimming races were held and the people enjoyed actually walking above the Sea. That must have been something very special way back in 1909.The Pier was 1600 feet long.
In 1916 another Pier was build and this one had attractions like the
Blue Streak Wooden Roller Coaster ,and the Hipprodome
Merry-go rounds were also build and a Wurlitzer Organ as well.
The Looff Pier was enlarged to a
270 by 1080 foot Pier.
continued in next chapter.
In 1924 a Ballroom named
La Monica Ballroom was opened and an also BIG Bands Played here including Western Swing
After the years went by ,the Ballroom was closed and both Piers were demolished due to both Piers detoriating.
The Pier was so well liked that a movement to restore the Pier was formed and finally the Pier was restored and named a National Historic Landmark by the United States Government.
In 1988 a new concrete substructure was build and the pier now attracts around 3 million visitors a year.
The link to the website I found this info is
This is a beautiful Pier and I recommend visiting this Pier when you are in Santa Monica.
- In a nutshell:This is an awsome Pier and should not be missed when visiting Santa Monica.
Yes this Santa Monica Pier is a place for young and old ,there is plenty to do ,the amusement Park is a great place for... more travel advice
You will see several Artist at the Santa Monica Pier ,for example water paintings and there were some other artist doing... more travel advice
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Santa Monica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Santa Monica~"
- "I Leave My Heart in Santa Monica"
- "AFTERNOON & EVENING AT SANTA MONICA PIER."
- "Santa Monica"
- "BEAUTY AND THE BEACH"
- "Santa Monica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Monica
- Hotels in Santa Monica
- Transportation in Santa Monica
- Nightlife in Santa Monica
- Restaurants in Santa Monica
- Shopping in Santa Monica
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Monica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Monica
- 15 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Santa Monica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Monica
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Vergistoeristen"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Night Shots of LORI & HANS in Santa Monica"
- created a Santa Monica Travelogue "Night Shots of LORI & HANS in Santa Monica"
- Wrote a Review The Pier is a place for young and old alike . about The Pier in Santa Monica Favorites
- Commented on one of giampiero6's Santa Monica travel pages
Photos in Santa MonicaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues