"AFTERNOON & EVENING AT SANTA MONICA PIER." Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica by Waalewiener

Santa Monica Travel Guide: 457 reviews and 1,055 photos

It is allready getting a bit darker

After our stay in El Segundo ,and after a great weekend at the VT 3 day Bash we drove to Venice ,and Marina del Rey ,where we stayed overnight in a Motel ,then we head out to see this beautiful '' SANTA MONICA PIER.''
It was allready getting later in the afternoon and we lucked out and we wittnessed a fantastic sunset ,from the boardwalk of the Pier as well the beautiful walking path near the road.
It was a fantastic evening and we were very fortunate that we had such great weather .
Enjoy all the pictures .
The next chapter will give some info about the pier which I found in the website that I will put a link in the Tips that I make .Enjoy.

Here we are near the road and viewing the Pier .

This Pier in '' SANTA MONICA '' is famous and a great
attraction for Santa Monica and area.
On September 9 1909 this Pier opened for the public.
It took 16 months to build this Pier .
But when it opened people came in droves to see this marvelous Pier and many bands performed , swimming races were held and the people enjoyed actually walking above the Sea. That must have been something very special way back in 1909.The Pier was 1600 feet long.
In 1916 another Pier was build and this one had attractions like the
Blue Streak Wooden Roller Coaster ,and the Hipprodome
Merry-go rounds were also build and a Wurlitzer Organ as well.
The Looff Pier was enlarged to a
270 by 1080 foot Pier.
continued in next chapter.

In 1924 a Ballroom named
La Monica Ballroom was opened and an also BIG Bands Played here including
Western Swing
After the years went by ,the Ballroom was closed and both Piers were demolished due to both Piers detoriating.
The Pier was so well liked that a movement to restore the Pier was formed and finally the Pier was restored and named a National Historic Landmark by the United States Government.
In 1988 a new concrete substructure was build and the pier now attracts around 3 million visitors a year.
The link to the website I found this info is
This is a beautiful Pier and I recommend visiting this Pier when you are in Santa Monica.

• In a nutshell:This is an awsome Pier and should not be missed when visiting Santa Monica.
  • Last visit to Santa Monica: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2004

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I liked the pier too.Lovely area and beautiful sunsets!Great tips from you!Wish you a very good weekend!Thanks!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Santa Monica looks very inviting--in fact, I know our grandson would love to travel there with us! Maybe someday...San Francisco is first, though.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 4:11 PM

Putting this one on my 'to do list'.. Sounds like a great place to visit.. Love the beach and sunset. Wonderful page Hans..

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM

Rhat tune about Santa Monica blvd. was going thru my mind as I read your tips. Very interesting page. I will try to catch the sunset when I go there.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 3:24 PM

Hi Hansi, did you ride the Ferris Wheel at night? Very romantic! We might be heading to SM in Dec to escape the cold :o) ~ Helen

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 8:01 AM

Another dream destination ! Thank you for sharing !

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 11:17 AM

I can't believe all this stuff fits on the pier, it must be gigantic! Looks like you had a lot of fun here. Really nice travelogue pics at sunset!

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 10:44 PM

Thanks for some useful tips, Hans - we look forward to seing the Pier for ourselves this weekend (maybe catch a sunset, too?) K.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 12:43 AM

It's obvious, Hans, that you really enjoyed doing these pages and travelogues. Stunning sunsets and night shots. Your affection for Lori is delightful. What a great place.

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 10:41 PM

very nice page, i think it is a lot of fun there, greetings Alphons...

Waalewiener

“Travel now , don't wait until it is too late”

Badges & Stats in Santa Monica

Have you been to Santa Monica?