"Appingedam lovely town in Northern Netherlands." Appingedam by Waalewiener
Appingedam Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 80 photos
This will be a page about a lovely Town in the far Northeast of the Netherlands, a lovely Town with great history and some wonderful old buildings of the middle ages.In the early Middle Ages Appingedam was an important seaport.After the years the seagoing ships disappeared ,but the water remained important part of Appingedam. More about Appingedam will be in following chapters and in the following tips.
Roelien drove us from her house in Hoogkerk through a little country road and we visited Roelien place of birth ,Garrelsweer,and just past Garrelsweer is the Town of Appingedam. thank you Roelien for showing us these beautiful places .
A lovely Town with quiet surroundings , wonderful place for a visit, there are two Medieval Towns in the province of Groningen ,1) Groningen ,2 ) Appingedam.
The name Appingedam came in existence on the banks of the '' Delf ''
now called het '' Damsterdiep '' around 1200 the name originates from ''Appe'' or ''Apt'' The first inhabitants settled on the high banks of the marches and waterways .These places did not give sufficient protection for flooding ,so they were heightened and that's how dwelling mounts ,called "'Wierden or Terpen "came to be. Several of these mounds can be seen around Appingedam e,g '' de Wierde '' ,'' Opwierde ''etc.
This is the City/Council Hall,it is one of the smallest in the Netherlands,an it has a wonderful Renaissance looking front.
This building was build in 1630 and it was use as an ''Guild of Citizens Soldiers ( Schuttersgilde) .Until 1824 the ground level part wa sused as a '' Weigh House ''.
de" Waag '' in the Dutch langauge.The City Council occupied the top floor . see in the the tip section for this building for more information
- Pros:The lovely character of the a Dutch little town is priceless
- In a nutshell:If you go to the Netherlands try visiting Appingedam.
This is one of those typical Dutch bridges ,there are thousands and thousands of briges over the Dutch canals ,and they... more travel advice
Het Damsterdiep,this is the canal that runs through the Town of Appingedam ,beautiful homes and nice Dutch style ships... more travel advice
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Appingedam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Going on a canoe trip to Appingedam"
- "Appingedam lovely town in Northern Netherlands."
- "Used to be a seaport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Appingedam
- Hotels in Appingedam
- Transportation in Appingedam
- Warnings and Dangers in Appingedam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Appingedam
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Appingedam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appingedam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Vergistoeristen"
- Commented on one of Xefian's Appingedam travel pages
- updated a Appingedam Travelogue "Misc pictures of Appingedam & Roelien & Hans"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Misc pictures of Appingedam & Roelien & Hans"
- Wrote a Review A lovely Dutch bridge over het Damsterdiep. in Appingedam Things to Do
Photos in AppingedamSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues