"Dedicated to Harold & Bruce Queen's family." Groesbeek by Waalewiener
Groesbeek Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 71 photos
Name: QUEEN, HAROLD ALLEN
Initials: H A
Rank: Sergeant (Air Gnr.)
Regiment: Royal Canadian Air Force
Unit Text: 207 (R.A.F.) Sqdn
Date of Death: 31/08/1943
Service No: R/98092
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XV. F. 10.
Cemetery: GROESBEEK CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY
Harold Allen Queen was the brother of my wife Lori's
uncle Bruce Queen , both were brothers and entered the services like thousands of other young Canadians did .Uncle Bruce was with the Calgary Highlanders
and he went overseas and landed in France and fought battles through France, Belgium ,Zeeland in the Netherlands and as far as into Germany.Uncle Bruce survived the war and married my wife Lori's aunt . Harold Allen Queen died in the Netherlands on a failed mission in a plane over Holland.
Sergeant Harold Queen was an
Air Gunner in the Regiment Royal Canadian Air Force. 207 R.A.F Sgdn.
We were asked by Lori's aunt ,the wife of Bruce Queen if we could take some pictures when we visited Groesbeek of the grave of
Harold . Allen. Queen .
I like to dedicate these Groesbeek pages to the family of Harold & Bruce Queen .
This is in honor of two great Canadian Soldiers.
Allied forces entered the Netherlands on 12 September 1944. Airborne operations later that month established a bridgehead at Nijmegen and in the following months, coastal areas and ports were cleared and secured, but it was not until the German initiated offensive in the Ardennes had been repulsed that the drive into Germany could begin. Most of those buried in Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery were Canadians, many of whom died in the Battle of the Rhineland, when the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, and the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, took part in the drive southwards from Nijmegen to clear the territory between the Maas and the Rhine in February and March 1945. Others buried here died earlier or later in the southern part of the Netherlands and in the Rhineland. The cemetery contains 2,610 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, and nine war graves of other nationalities. Within the cemetery stands the Groesbeek Memorial, which commemorates by name more than 1,000 members of the Commonwealth land forces who died during the campaign in north-west Europe between the time of crossing the Seine at the end of August 1944 and the end of the war in Europe, and whose graves are not known.
- Pros:The Dutch people have been and still are soo wonderful keeping this wonderful Cemetary in such great shape.
- In a nutshell:I know that it is well appreciated by the Families of the fallen Soldiers buried in this Cemetary.
One more close up of this WW 2 Tank. Nationaal Bevrijdingsmuseum 1944-1945 Address: Wylerbaan 4, Groesbeek Postal... more travel advice
Notts Sherwood Ranger it says on this plaque displayed on the grounds . Nationaal Bevrijdingsmuseum 1944-1945 Address:... more travel advice
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Groesbeek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dedicated to Harold & Bruce Queen's family."
- "Groesbeek Page"
- "Groesbeek, where liberation is commemorated"
- "The wee village of Groesbeek"
- "Groesbeek a beatutiful tourist village"
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Groesbeek"
- "Day 18 Pieterpad"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groesbeek
- Hotels in Groesbeek
- Transportation in Groesbeek
- Restaurants in Groesbeek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Groesbeek
- 18 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Groesbeek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groesbeek
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Yippee.....a VTer is visiting..."
- Commented on one of Pavlik_NL's Groesbeek travel pages
- Wrote a Review A real close up of this WW 2 Tank in Groesbeek Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "A real close up of this WW 2 Tank"
- updated a Groesbeek Travelogue "Some nice picture of the Groesbeek Cemetery."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues