"Sagres and St Vincent the point where Europe ends." Top 5 Page for this destination Sagres by Waalewiener
Sagres Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 381 photos
Sagres ia a small town with a lot of Maritime History,this is a small town located on the most
South Western Point of Portugal and off course Europe.Sagres is known for its beauty, and the harbour is very beautiful .
Because Sagres location protected it from the strong winds and because of that a fort was constructed by Prins Henry the Navigator or Dom Alfonso Henrique and inside the Fort was a Maritime school built, for Navigation an Exploration.
A few kilometers from the Town Sagres you will find on old Fort built in 17 th Century , going through a small tunnel you see the remnant of a church and an old Canon is also there , but there is not much else the walls are still in good shape. What you will see next is very impressive , in the distance you will see Cape Vincent with its big lighthouse and surroundings.
The cliffs you will see go straight down it is incredible steep and the view is stunning . Dozens of local fishermen with large fishing poles and they do some very dangerous things to get a good spot for fishing.Off course the locals eat a lot of fish.Some of the local fishermen risk their life to get a spot to fish.There was lots of fish being caught.
Several Naval fights have taken place around the Cape St Vincent, In 1693 Admiral Tourville defeated Sir George Rooke.
Admiral Rodnney defeated the Spanish in 1780. Admiral Jervis with
Nelson defeated the Spanish fleet in 1797.An impressive Lighthouse is located at Cape St Vincent, the lighthouse is a guiding light for hundreds of ships that pass by the Cape every year.The surrounding Cliffs are massive and very steep and their is little vegetation , the ground is rocky and hardly any soil.
- Pros:Sagres and the Fort and Lighthouse are well worth a visit.
- In a nutshell:If you go to the Algarve for a vacation ,I recommend you take a half day to visit.
This is a picture of an old Canon they left at the wall of the Fort , it looks ok , but I have seen better ones. A ship... more travel advice
This picture will show you what NOT to do when you visit this area , you can really get close to the edge of these high... more travel advice
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Sagres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cabo de St vicente and Sagres Fortress"
- "Sagres, Birthplace of Portugal's Age of Discovery!"
- "Sagres and St Vincent the point where Europe ends."
- "A place at the End of the World"
- "A Historical Reference"
- "Sagres: Way Out There on the SW Tip of Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sagres
- Hotels in Sagres
- Transportation in Sagres
- Restaurants in Sagres
- Shopping in Sagres
- Warnings and Dangers in Sagres
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sagres
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Sagres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sagres
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A League of (VT) nations."
- Commented on one of Carmela71's Sagres travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some more pictures of Sagres and area."
- updated a Sagres Travelogue "Some more pictures of Sagres and area."
- Wrote a Review An old Canon leftover from days gone by. in Sagres Favorites
Photos in SagresSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (422)
Latest Sagres hotel reviews
- Mareta Beach Boutique Bed & Breakfast
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Memmo Baleeira Hotel
- 368 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel da Baleeira
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Aparthotel Navigator
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2013
- Don Tenorio Aparthotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013