"Gelderland with its beautiful churches." Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland by Waalewiener
Provincie Gelderland Travel Guide: 2,103 reviews and 7,129 photos
For Centuries Arnhem's largest Church was the St Martinus Church,but then in 1452 it was decided to build a new church and this new Church was called St Eusebius Church,the church went through a century of change and the Church was build mostly of natural stone, especialy the outside Church Tower.
There were several stages of rebuilding the Church to what the Church now has now become, The next stage of construction there wars a choir and an ambulatory,this part of the Churh is in a symmetrical shape.In 1511 the remaining parts off the St Martinus Church were demolished ,Then in 1578 the Church became a Protestant Church and was neglected during this time .Later on starting 1870 the Church went through major renovations.
In september 1944 during the '' Battle of Arnhem the Church was severely damaged and burnt out,the south side of the nave was severely damaged but luckely the beautiful Porch did survive .The crossing & transept & choir were not damaged that bad , but the Tower did collapse due to the heavy fighting of the '' Battle of Arnhem '' , where the Allied soldiers try to capture the Bridges over the Rivers to connect with the main Allied force in south of the Netherlands.
From 1946 soon after WW 2 the St Eubesius Church was rebuild and renovated in to a beautiful Church inside and outside .
In 1964 ,the Tower ,higher than ever was finished and the upper segment was now beautiful Octagonal in shape and wonderful to see.In 1994 an elevator was build inside the Church and some pictures of this elevator will be shown in the tips.
I like to thank thank Paul (Pavlik _nl) for showing us this beautiful Church and being such a great host and Tour Guide..
- Pros:To see an incredible History with middle ages Churches and buildings.
- In a nutshell:The Dutch Gothic era Architecture is well worth seeing.
These yellow trains will get you every where you want to go in the country. Good ,fast and reliable. De Nederlandse... more travel advice
When you see a Bell this size you just wonder how on earth did they bring these kind of Bell's way up there in the... more travel advice
Written Jan 12, 2004
Beautiful Art inside this great Church in Arnhem.
Written Jan 10, 2004
The beautiful St Eusebius Church inside pictures.
Written Jan 12, 2004
Black & White pic's of Arnhem & St Eusebius Church
Written Jan 13, 2004
Pictures taken from the Belvedere room of Church
Waalewiener's Related Pages
Provincie Gelderland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gelderland with its beautiful churches."
- "PROVINCIE GELDERLAND"
- "My beloved and green Gelderland"
- "A VISIT WITH VERY SPECIAL FRIENDS"
- "Gelderland, the largest province of The Netherland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Gelderland
- Hotels in Provincie Gelderland
- Transportation in Provincie Gelderland
- Nightlife in Provincie Gelderland
- Restaurants in Provincie Gelderland
- Shopping in Provincie Gelderland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Gelderland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Gelderland
- 79 Reviews
- 223 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Provincie Gelderland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Gelderland
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I Need to Rant"
- Wrote a Review The Netherlands have a wonderful train system in Provincie Gelderland Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Netherlands have a wonderful train system"
- updated a Provincie Gelderland Travelogue "The last travelogue ,some fun pics ,some others."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 50 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frigiliana Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 34 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fuengirola Intro, 32 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 32 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 27 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues