"To Catch A Rainbow" travelinxs's Profile

a bicycle journey east around the world

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I started travelling as a young, naïve teenager on 1st February 1986, just after breakfast. It was a grey, sombre Saturday morning. Rain had been forecasted, though it never came. I climbed aboard an old World War 2 army truck and rumbled out of town and across my home county of Devon in England and onward toward Africa.

From that moment on, life would never be the same again.

So. Why do I travel? I travel because it is who I am. It's what I do. It's no more or less complicated than that. I'm not running 'from' anything. I'm running 'to' everything. There are no spiritual motivations. I'm not trying to find myself, someone else or any resolving states of mind or locales of contentment. It simply induces an all encompassing passion for life in me that is beyond compare. I can't imagine that I will ever stop. Not for anyone or anything. Why would I? I love my life. I have no desire or reason to change it.

In the journal To Catch A Rainbow I simply utalised an alternative method of transport to reach the Asian Sub-Continent. I bought a bicycle, and with little preparation pedalled off over the horizon. Over time, adventure cycling became a part of that travel obsession as I came to realise what a perfect mode of transport the bicycle is.

To Catch A Rainbow - the journey continues rejoins the road in Kyrgyzstan, Asia to continue onward east toward New Zealand.

To Catch A Rainbow - the final endeavour sees the final leg of this round the world journey, starting August 2014 in Canada heading south.

... Its adventure time once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you enjoy reading travelogues, I hope you can find some inspiration from the stories I have written here on VT from my journeys around the world...
Travel In Excess

I was very honoured to receive 'The Adventurist 2010' award and thanks for the nominations. It was very much appreciated.

VT member since October 18th, 2000 ... previously Gardi

• Intro Updated Jul 16, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
travelinxs's Profile Photo

travelinxs

“next stop ... The Americas”

Real Name