"Comoros Islands - Moroni" Top 5 Page for this destination Comoros by Kurtdhis
Comoros Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 132 photos
Three hundred kilometres off the shores of East Africa, halfway to Madagascar, in the warm Northern tip of the Mocambique channel, lie the islands of Les Comores.
The history of these lands reads like a fairy tale with pirates and princes, mosques, minarets and medinas, sultans and soothsayers in a unique and fascinating blend of ancient cultures, both African and Persian. The Queen of Sheba is even reputed to have visited ...
Today, Les Comores offer a wonderful holiday experience with incomparable watersports, picturesque villages, palace ruins, incredible beaches, a luscious cuisine reflecting the traditions and cultures of these unspoilt isles - perfumed by the exotic ylang- ylang blossom, the rich fragrance of nutmeg, vanilla, cloves and peppercorns. palm forests,
For many visitors to the Comores, it will be the superb diving that is the prime attraction. Dive sites vary from sheltered coral reefs to vertical volcanic walls or wrecks. Sea conditions are usually perfect between March and November when the calm waters are ideal for training and night diving. For deep-sea fishing enthusiasts the best months are from October to June when the ocean teems with barracuda, tuna, wahoo, marlin and sailfish.
The climate here is tropical and very warm with the coastal areas between December and March being hot and very humid and interspersed with rains and seasonal cyclones. The cooler and drier season runs from May to October. The official languages here are French and Arabic in addition to Comoran - being a blend of Arabic and Swahili. As the main religion is Muslim, the Holy Month of Ramadan is acknowledged each year which in turn affects some of the restaurants and shops on the islands
Located at the northern end of the Mozambique channel, and at the eastern edge of the Bantu linguistic area, the Comoros... more travel advice
Located in a strategic position at the northern end of the Mozambique Channel, the Comoro Islands once played a major... more travel advice
Kurtdhis' Related Pages
Comoros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Comoros Islands - Moroni"
- "The Perfumed Archipelago"
- "Comoros - Lost in the paradise"
- "Beautiful Comoros"
- "Welcome to Comores Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Comoros
- Hotels in Comoros
- Transportation in Comoros
- Restaurants in Comoros
- Warnings and Dangers in Comoros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Comoros
- 15 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Comoros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Comoros
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 32 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grahamstown Intro, 33 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comoros Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 13 reviews, 4 photos
- Penang Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 5 photos
- T'ai-chung-hsien Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nan-t'ou Intro, 14 photos, 3 travelogues