"Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn by Kurtdhis
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 234 photos
The town is blessed not only with natural wonders and a scenic environment, but with warm, hospitable townsfolk. It offers a host of tourist attractions, such as the Cango Caves, ostrich show farms, the wildlife ranch, township tours, adventure sport, 4x4 trails and other outdoor activities, winetasting, award-winning country cuisine and, of course, cultural highlights such as the annual Klein Karoo National Arts Festival and the soon-to-be-introduced Oudtshoorn International Youth Festival and Expo.
One of the worlds great natural wonders, sculptured by nature through the ages. It is situated close to the Klein Karoo Town of Oudtshoorn. Mysterious and breathtaking limestone formations in a wide variety of natural colours, a subterranean wonderland. Regular guided tours daily.
The Ostriches: Amidst the 400 ostrich farms surrounding the town, 3 have distinguished themselves worthy to be named " show farms". Become exposed to this exotic bird species, the largest in the world. Guided tours available.
Crocodiles: Gaze with the awe at the slithering reptiles species from all over the world. Imagine... more than 400 crocodiles and alligators in their prehistoric unattractiveness. They're being bred here and they're awfully nice, as long as you don't get too close!
The Klein Karoo National Arts festival: An Annual gathering in March/April, of more than 100 000 lovers of the various arts, for a week of dancing, films, cabaret, classical music, comedy, contemporary music, open air concerts, plays, literary art & poetry. A momentous event, enjoying international sponsorship.
Taste the fine local wines and the excellent cuisine of the Restaurants - meals which could include ostrich - all exquisitely available to satisfy every taste.
Cheetahs: A highly successful breeding station of this threatened species. . . -one of the only two in the southern hemisphere. One of the foremost examples of Eco-tourism in the world and a superb mixture of conservation and tourism. You can get yourself photographed cuddling a cheetah cub, the fastest animal on land.
Rivers & Falls: Numerous rivers, streams and falls have their origins in the surrounding Swartberg, Outeniqua, Kamanassie mountain ranges. Waterfalls abound, and the visitor is fortunate to safely visit two examples at the Vrede and Meiringspoort falls.
Hiking and Biking: The eco-tourist, and those thriving on the outdoor life, alike, will be faced with a large selection of challenging opportunities. Hiking and biking trails are in abundance. Make your choice from lush subtropical to semi-arid. You will leave fulfilled! Sport: Oudtshoorn is the hub of the region for the sport enthusiast, offering a challenging modern 18 hole golf course with full amenities and squash courts. Also, bowls, athletics, tennis, cricket, rugby, Olympic standard swimming pools, motorsport, miniature aircraft and many more.
Caves Country Lodge is situated 3km from the centre of Oudtshoorn, on the road to the world renowned Cango Caves, next... more travel advice
Build in 1905 during the "Ostrich Feather Boom" by Sidney Herbert Adley. This magnificent Victorian Home with its large... more travel advice
Kurtdhis' Related Pages
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oudtshoorn - the ostrich capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital of the World"
- "Oudtshoorn is more then ostriches."
- "The Cango Caves"
- "Ostriches, camels and caves!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oudtshoorn
- Hotels in Oudtshoorn
- Transportation in Oudtshoorn
- Nightlife in Oudtshoorn
- Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
- Shopping in Oudtshoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Oudtshoorn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oudtshoorn
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Oudtshoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oudtshoorn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 32 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grahamstown Intro, 33 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comoros Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 13 reviews, 4 photos
- Penang Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 5 photos
- T'ai-chung-hsien Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nan-t'ou Intro, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Oudtshoorn hotel reviews
- Protea Hotel Riempie Estate
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Oudtshoorn Hotel And Resort
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- De Oude Meul Country Lodge
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- Kleinplaas Holiday Resort
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- The Barons Palace
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2011
- Queens Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Adley House
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Backpackers Paradise & Joyrides
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013