"Lubumbashi" Lubumbashi by Kurtdhis
Lubumbashi Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 14 photos
Lubumbashi, situated in southeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), is the capital of Shaba Region. Also the principal commercial and industrial centre of the region, Lubumbashi is in an area rich in mineral resources. Copper smelting is the major industry, and zinc, cobalt, and cadmium from the nearby mines are also processed. Founded in 1910 by the Belgians as a mining camp and originally named Elisabethville in honour of Elisabeth, Queen of the Belgians, the city prospered as its rich mineral resources were developed. Elisabethville was renamed Lubumbashi in 1966. Noteworthy are the Lubumbashi Campus of the National University of Zaire and the regional museum, with its collection of African art.
Kurtdhis' Related Pages
Lubumbashi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lubumbashi, capitale of Copper (and other mining)"
- "DRC's Second largest City"
- "It's a mining town"
- "The second city in Democratic Republic of Congo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lubumbashi
- Hotels in Lubumbashi
- Nightlife in Lubumbashi
- Restaurants in Lubumbashi
- Shopping in Lubumbashi
- Warnings and Dangers in Lubumbashi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lubumbashi
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Lubumbashi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lubumbashi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 32 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 32 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grahamstown Intro, 33 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Comoros Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 13 reviews, 4 photos
- Penang Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 5 photos
- T'ai-chung-hsien Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nan-t'ou Intro, 14 photos, 3 travelogues