"Gerlach, Nevada" Gerlach by mcpangie
Gerlach Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos
According to the historical marker, Gerlach isn't yet 100 years old. Driving through you will see abandoned buildings around town making it seem as if the town has had better days. This old gas station wasn't built in a historical period that is romanticized, so it's falling into disrepair. There is a newer Shell gas station down the road.
My impression was that other than the USG trucks coming from Empire, and a few other vehicles, that Gerlach isn't on the beaten path!
I haven't been up there during that Burning Man Festival though, I bet it's busier than all get out then. If you want to go to Black Rock Desert to experience nature, you should go when no one else is there. 20,000 people, even in the wide expanse in this image of the Playa, or dried lake bed, of Black Rock Desert to the east of Gerlach is too much despite the wide, open spaces. I figure that experiencing the Burning Man Festival will open your minds to other things that don’t have all that much to do with nature. I’d like to see some of the artwork that is produced out there on the Playa, but the whole festival seems to revolve around “participants only” and well, I’d want to be a spectator.
mcpangie's Related Pages
Gerlach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gerlach & the Black Rock Desert"
- "TheJudge's Gerlach Page"
- "Eldritch001's new Gerlach Page"
- "Gerlach, Nevada"
- "Burning Man"
- "Black Rock City"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gerlach
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Gerlach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gerlach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues