"Empire, Nevada" Empire by mcpangie
Empire Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos
The Empire Store & Deli on State Route 447 is one of the only places to get gas or food for about 90 miles in either direction. The owner sports a sense of humor on the sign; the other side says, "Have A Safe Trip".
Empire is located a little over 60 miles north of Nixon, Nevada, the largest down in the Pyramid Lake Paiute Indian Reservation.
Empire, Nevada might be a small town, and it is after all located in Northern Nevada (which is characterized by open desert and mountain ranges)... however... I'd like to suggest that this is definitely a small town in the middle of America! Flags were everywhere. People were friendly, and seem to have a good sense of humor.
Empire has about 300 citizens, all living within the shadow of the United States Gypsum (USG) Company's huge plant. USG is the leading supplier of construction materials created from gypsum and a Fortune 500 company. The economy of both Empire and nearby Gerlach are supported by the mining of gypsum outside of Empire. If it weren't for the hard-working miners and factory-workers who don't mind living in a small place like Empire, I wouldn't have "Sheetrock" (a registered trademark of USG) on the walls of my house.
- Pros:Gypsum is used for making sheet rock...
- In a nutshell:So be thankful for people who want to live in tiny little towns and make sheetrock or your walls would be harder to hang pictures on.
Here is a view south toward Empire from across the Playa (dry lake bed) at Black Rock Desert. This is a distance of at... more travel advice
mcpangie's Related Pages
Empire Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Empire
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Empire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Empire
Photos in EmpireSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues