"K'Dalkitnu" Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna by mcpangie

Talkeetna Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 185 photos

Along the Talkeetna River

I grew up along the shores of the Talkeetna River, originally called "K'Dalkitnu" by the peoples who lived in the area before white man showed up, in the small community of Talkeetna.

Talkeetna is well-known for being the "lowest base camp" for excursions to Denali. I'm not talking about Denali National Park, I mean the mountain. A host of air taxis will bring you on flight-seeing trips over the tallest mountain in North America, or... if you prefer to be dropped off that to can be arranged. Each summer climbers from around the world descend on Talkeetna so the can ascend to the Summit!

Sport-Fishing Paradise

The town of Talkeetna is located on the confluence of three rivers; the Susistna River, the Chulitna River, and the Talkeetna River. Talkeetna is a popular site for visitors who want to go fishing with rod & reel. There are several fishing guide services with huge jet boats that will be more than willing to bring you up river and let you do just that.

Almost every night my family would hop in our boat and go fishing. My father at one point owned seven riverboats! Here I am holding a knife (not a fish) so that I can help clean our catch.

Stop On The Alaska Railroad

The Alaska Railroad connected Talkeetna to both Anchorage and Fairbanks long before the Parks Highway. When I was a little girl, I remember parts of the Parks Highway near Talkeetna were still unpaved. These days of course it is all paved. But many people in the Talkeetna area rely on the Alaska Railroad for transportation. It is one of the only flag-stop railroads in the United States (maybe the only one). Many people who live off the tracks above Talkeetna flag the train down for a ride into town.

• Pros:Small Town Alaska At It's Best
  • Cons:And Worst... It's A Tourist Trap These Days
  • In a nutshell:Three Rivers, "Three" Mountains, and "Three" Hundred Residents
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2004

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 5:38 PM

Beautiful place and wonderful tips. Alluring and enticing.

• shekaago's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2004 at 11:20 AM

Your pages bring back such wonderful memories of my last visit to Alaska! Talkeetna is a beautiful and charming place! Thanks!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 7:24 AM

I was surprised to see this page loaded in favor of Warnings and Dangers, but that's still a great moose picture (though sad commentary). Glad I wasn't in town during the snows. . .

mcpangie

“Have Suitcase, Will Travel”

Badges & Stats in Talkeetna

Have you been to Talkeetna?

Latest Activity in Talkeetna