"K'Dalkitnu" Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna by mcpangie
Talkeetna Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 227 photos
I grew up along the shores of the Talkeetna River, originally called "K'Dalkitnu" by the peoples who lived in the area before white man showed up, in the small community of Talkeetna.
Talkeetna is well-known for being the "lowest base camp" for excursions to Denali. I'm not talking about Denali National Park, I mean the mountain. A host of air taxis will bring you on flight-seeing trips over the tallest mountain in North America, or... if you prefer to be dropped off that to can be arranged. Each summer climbers from around the world descend on Talkeetna so the can ascend to the Summit!
The town of Talkeetna is located on the confluence of three rivers; the Susistna River, the Chulitna River, and the Talkeetna River. Talkeetna is a popular site for visitors who want to go fishing with rod & reel. There are several fishing guide services with huge jet boats that will be more than willing to bring you up river and let you do just that.
Almost every night my family would hop in our boat and go fishing. My father at one point owned seven riverboats! Here I am holding a knife (not a fish) so that I can help clean our catch.
The Alaska Railroad connected Talkeetna to both Anchorage and Fairbanks long before the Parks Highway. When I was a little girl, I remember parts of the Parks Highway near Talkeetna were still unpaved. These days of course it is all paved. But many people in the Talkeetna area rely on the Alaska Railroad for transportation. It is one of the only flag-stop railroads in the United States (maybe the only one). Many people who live off the tracks above Talkeetna flag the train down for a ride into town.
- Pros:Small Town Alaska At It's Best
- Cons:And Worst... It's A Tourist Trap These Days
- In a nutshell:Three Rivers, "Three" Mountains, and "Three" Hundred Residents
I didn't take this picture. It is public domain, and was taken by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They have a cool... more travel advice
This is an old building that I doubt will ever have my name on a sign! But I used to live in there. My first hamster... more travel advice
mcpangie's Related Pages
Talkeetna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tall Tales from Talkeetna"
- "Talkeetna - It's what Alaska is all about"
- "Talkeetna - A Passage to Mt Mckinley"
- "This is a VERY cute town!"
- "Talkeetna, Alaska"
- "Gateway to Denali"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Talkeetna
- Hotels in Talkeetna
- Transportation in Talkeetna
- Nightlife in Talkeetna
- Restaurants in Talkeetna
- Shopping in Talkeetna
- Warnings and Dangers in Talkeetna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Talkeetna
- 11 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Talkeetna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Talkeetna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues