"Matanuska Glacier" Matanuska by mcpangie
Matanuska Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 14 photos
About 100 miles up the Glenn Highway from Anchorage, Alaska you will find this picturesque glacier. The Matanuska is an active glacier that lying in a valley that can easily be reached for hiking trips. I’m very surprised that there aren’t more VT pages on this destination because it’s such a “must see” activity along the Glenn Highway. I don’t have any close-up pictures of the glacier, but you can walk right up to the face of the glacier and then on to it. There is a company that will bring people on guided tours, and their web page is very easily to remember - www.matanuskaglacier.com.
The Matanuska River is short and sweet. It travels from the Matanuska Glacier only about 60 to 70 miles until it enters the Knik Arm of the Cook Inlet on the Palmer Flats. Shortly after leaving Palmer, Alaska on the Glenn Highway a traveler will follow this lovely valley, seeing plenty of scenery like this shot.
The descent from the Glacier to the ocean is fairly steep, making the Matanuska River a popular spot for activities like white water rafting. In December 2003 there were plenty of rapids that weren’t frozen like this shot right here.
- In a nutshell:Now you know where Matanuska Maid milk and ice cream's name comes from.
mcpangie's Related Pages
Matanuska Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Matanuska
- 0 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Matanuska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matanuska
Photos in MatanuskaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues