"Mount Alyeska" Girdwood by mcpangie

Girdwood Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 162 photos

A Mountain Top Wedding

Just up the Turnagain Arm form Anchorage on the Cook Inlet is Mt. Alyeska (famous for skiing). The word Alaska comes from the Aleut word Alyeska, which means the "great land".

This picture from Mt. Alyeska was taken one day when an old coworker of mine from the days I worked at Cook Inlet Tribal Council was married a handful of years back. Here are her flower girls running around being girls.

A website called Grumpy's Gathering Place has some pictures of Mt. Alyeska. She also has lots of wonderful pictures of the mountains of Colorado. I have joked before that the Front Range isn't so majestic as I'd imagined, kind of like the quotable line from Dumb and Dumber; "That John Denver is full of (it)." But what I'm really doing is poking fun at my own geographical/cultural illiteracy. "Anyone can make a mistake, Harry!" (Still quote same movie.) I'd always imagined Mile High City meant that Denver was up in the mountains because I didn't realize the Great Plains rose in elevation before the Rocky Mountains. Where we live molds our thinking patterns, and in Alaska the mountains rise from sea level. Someday I'll write more about my other experiences and thoughts about how nature becomes part of culture. It is so key to understanding a people to understand what part of the world they come from.

• Last visit to Girdwood: Dec 1998
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2003

mcpangie

“Have Suitcase, Will Travel”

Badges & Stats in Girdwood

Have you been to Girdwood?

Latest Activity in Girdwood