"Mount Alyeska" Girdwood by mcpangie
Girdwood Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 162 photos
Just up the Turnagain Arm form Anchorage on the Cook Inlet is Mt. Alyeska (famous for skiing). The word Alaska comes from the Aleut word Alyeska, which means the "great land".
This picture from Mt. Alyeska was taken one day when an old coworker of mine from the days I worked at Cook Inlet Tribal Council was married a handful of years back. Here are her flower girls running around being girls.
A website called Grumpy's Gathering Place has some pictures of Mt. Alyeska. She also has lots of wonderful pictures of the mountains of Colorado. I have joked before that the Front Range isn't so majestic as I'd imagined, kind of like the quotable line from Dumb and Dumber; "That John Denver is full of (it)." But what I'm really doing is poking fun at my own geographical/cultural illiteracy. "Anyone can make a mistake, Harry!" (Still quote same movie.) I'd always imagined Mile High City meant that Denver was up in the mountains because I didn't realize the Great Plains rose in elevation before the Rocky Mountains. Where we live molds our thinking patterns, and in Alaska the mountains rise from sea level. Someday I'll write more about my other experiences and thoughts about how nature becomes part of culture. It is so key to understanding a people to understand what part of the world they come from.
Mt. Alyeska is a good hike for an afternoon of fun in Girdwood. The best part is, if you make it up to the top, the... more travel advice
mcpangie's Related Pages
Girdwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Girdwood Alaska and My Alyeska"
- "Home to Alyeska - Alaska's Premier Skiing Resort"
- "Jumping onto a Glacier with a Chopper in Girdwood"
- "Girdwood - a year-round resort close to Anchorage"
- "Ski town of Alaska"
- "Brief excursion into Girdwood"
- "Uber Sleazy, Uber Rich Side by Side"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Girdwood
- Hotels in Girdwood
- Transportation in Girdwood
- Nightlife in Girdwood
- Restaurants in Girdwood
- Shopping in Girdwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Girdwood
- See All...
Explore the World
- Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Lake Louise
- Ancient Corinth Hotels
- Weirs Beach Hotels
- Provincie Zeeland Hotels
- Kirkenes Hotels
- Nuevo Laredo
- Asuncion (Departamento)
- Louisiana Hotels
- Makow Podhalanski
- Quezon City
- Toms River
Badges & Stats in Girdwood
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Girdwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Girdwood
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Girdwood hotel reviews
- Hotel Alyeska
- 594 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013