Dillingham Local Custom Tips by mcpangie
Dillingham Local Customs: 3 reviews and 3 photos
March 2002 Wellness Conference
Aruvak was the name of one of the dance groups founding elders. In the mid-80’s there was a move to bring dancing back to Dillingham. The group performs around town and around the State at various functions. We practice fairly regularly at the Bristol Inn thanks to their kind donation of their conference room. If you are in town and hear the drums beating, come and join us.
Steam Bath - January 1998
This is a "maqi" at my friend's house. It is one of the local customs to take a steam bath as often as possible. To tell you the truth, I'm not that fond of the custom (nor have I ever learned to pronouce it properly). I got over my modesty long ago, but taking a "maqi" is definitely something one has to get used to. In the winter the waiting room is awfully cold, and in the summer the waiting room is normally full of mosquitoes. But when the company is good we make like Randy Travis' song and the men sit around and talk about the weather and the women sit around and talk about the men. It's more than a way to get clean these days, it's a social event in towns where there are no bowling alleys and movie theatres. Here in Dillingham women often maqi first. Upriver in Koliganek I noticed the men get first dibs. In both communities it is most common that the men get saddled with the responsibility of lighting the stove and hauling the water to "make maqi". And if a man don't want to haul water for you, you probably don't want to marry him. Maybe that's why I'm still single! Poor men I meet have no clue what I appreciate!
No Salmon Yet
This picture was taken on Kanakanak Beach. Besides having the distinction of being the world's largest anagram, Kanakanak Beach is located approximately 5 miles from downtown Dillingham. This is one of the main beaches where locals subsistence fish for salmon each summer. Not me. I don't have a net. My friend's are usually kind enough to give me enough salmon to can. I have learned to "put up" fish, and dry them in the traditional manner. But I'm not that skilled.
More Reviews (14)
- See All Sam Fox Museum
- See All Going Up River
- See All Driving On Snow & Ice
- See All Going "Up River" For Sports Fishing
- Kanakanak Beach
mcpangie's Related Pages
Dillingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dillingham, Alaska"
- "RobPartridge's new Dillingham Page"
- "Dillingham, Alaska"
- "Villages around Dillingham"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dillingham
- Transportation in Dillingham
- Nightlife in Dillingham
- Restaurants in Dillingham
- Shopping in Dillingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Dillingham
- See All...
Explore the World
- Parish of Saint Mary Hotels
- Frimley Hotels
- East New York Hotels
- Leduc Hotels
- Baska Voda
Badges & Stats in Dillingham
- 17 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Dillingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dillingham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues