"Dillingham, Alaska" Dillingham by mcpangie

Dillingham Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 44 photos

Foggy December Afternoon 2002

When I started with VT I was living in Dillingham, Alaska (1999-2003) the largest community in Bristol Bay in Southwest Alaska. I first started living out here when I was a college student. I spent my summers commercial fishing or cab driving to put my way through college. Dillingham is a small town, of about 2,400 residents. That's large for "bush Alaska", we are a "hub community". The closest movie theatre is a 330-mile flight into Anchorage. But the people around here are fun to be around.

I took this picture one evening on my way home from work with my work-related digital camera, a Nikon CoolPix5000. It was a cold, foggy day. Wouldn't you know it, being a small friendly town, a handful of people stopped to make sure I wasn't broke down. Taking pictures isn't a local custom in Dillingham.

Summer in Dillingham

Summertime in Dillingham is when the town comes alive with fisherman and fish, and a lot of people are too busy to do the proverbial "stop and smell the flowers". People come to Alaska expecting the awesome vistas filled with mountains, glaciers, lakes, and winding rivers. Some people come to Southwest Alaska and see the tundra and scrub spruce forests and think the scenery is just that... scrubby. But if you go walking around you'll soon realize the massive rivers and lakes in this region feed more than the world's largest salmon runs. The tundra is a whole new world down at your feet. The forests are full of flowers and berries and wildlife. In this part of Alaska there is abundant life where ever you look, even if it's at your feet.

An Amazing Sunset

Here's an example of what I mean about looking down at your feet. Children love mud puddles, and for a good reason. One day I saw the most amazing sunset. The air had taken on this translucent quality that was making everything glow orange including the gravel roads and mud puddles. The sunset didn't last long enough for me to get in view of the Bay or mountains, but it was pretty even where I was.

• Pros:Small Town
  • Cons:Small Town
  • In a nutshell:The only thing different about Dillingham and any other small town in American is the only way in is my airplane.
  • Last visit to Dillingham: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2004

• Apr 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I like alaska for its beauty of Ice and Fog. really beautiful picture and useful information. Thanks for such great work.

best regards,
    Togiak River Salmon Fishing

• Oct 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Hey. I lived in Dillingham my whole life. Glade you liked it. Fun town if you know what to do. :P TTYL, CaSandera Johnson

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 6:39 AM

alkways best when written by a resident of place ;-))) the Salmon must be fabs ;-p

• talmid's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 9:09 AM

Great sunset picture!

• Jun 9, 2004 at 2:24 PM

Thank you for the information, it will help me as I plan on moving to AK soon and I am looking at the areas you mention,great job,Kev

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 7:32 AM

Fantastic! Wonderful presentation of out-of-the-way Alaska, and I'll take another 100 Alaskan towns presented in the same way (from your workshop, of course).

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2003 at 10:30 AM

Great intro-photo!! Lovely page!

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2003 at 7:19 AM

Beautiful page. Good info and photos

mcpangie

“Have Suitcase, Will Travel”

Badges & Stats in Dillingham

Have you been to Dillingham?

Latest Activity in Dillingham