"Lake Aleknagik, Alaska" Aleknagik by mcpangie
Aleknagik Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos
Aleknagik is about a half-hour drive from Dillingham, Alaska. Lake Aleknagik ends at the mouth of the Wood River, which continues on to the Nushagak Bay at Snag Point (Dillingham). As I write this in November 2003 the “Lake Road” is still unpaved after Dillingham’s landfill, however next spring they plan to finish the paving project and people will be able to drive on blacktop all the way to Aleknagik.
The village of Aleknagik is split between the North and South side. This image is taken from a State maintained boat landing, and you can see across the lake to the village where many Aleknagik residents live. I have many coworkers that live over at Aleknagik. When they come to work each morning, their commute almost always involves a boat for part of the trip. They have to boat across to their vehicles in the morning (if you drive up to the Lake make sure not to park in their parking spots). In the winter WHEN “the Lake” freezes, people can drive across on a marked ice road. In the spring and fall, often times people have to break through the ice just to get to work.
Aleknagik is a small village, even in Bristol Bay. That means there aren’t any places for you to stay most of the time unless you have friends or family. But, if you are a tourist, you’ll find many wonderful and often times expensive lodges one of the “lakes”.
The farthest I have been up the extensive lake system at the head water of the Nushagak Bay is at the mouth of the Agulawok River at Lake Nerka, or as locals call it, “second lake”. A look at any map of Alaska shows that there is a huge system of lakes in the Wood Tik-Chik State Park area.
One of the churches hosts a camp for children each summer, and they let us stop by for a BBQ when we were up at Lake... more travel advice
mcpangie's Related Pages
Aleknagik Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Aleknagik
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Aleknagik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aleknagik
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues