United States of America Local Custom Tips by mcpangie
United States of America Local Customs: 257 reviews and 253 photos
Perhaps this bus will show up in your town and you can try to be a game show contestant. Would be nice, huh? The bus advertises Wheel of Fortune as "America's Game", so I figured it deserved a tip in the USA pages.
Here the bus is in front of the Peppermill Casino in Reno, Nevada.
Courthouse - Portland, Oregon
We might be younger than a lot of countries, but we've got cool, old buildings too. The Federal Courthouse in Portland, Oregon is so old it is being refurbished in 2005. 130 years ago, they didn't build for the seismic zone that Portland lies along. The ground beneath this building got scooped out and it is being set on "rollers" that will keep the occupants safe in the event of a major earthquake.
President Bush Is In Light Blue
In October 2004 during the presidential race, I went to one of the Bush-Cheney gatherings as he travelled around the country. Over 20,000 people were there, and opponent John Kerry's wife had an event in town that day were something like 100 people showed up. In fact, more Kerry supporters came to post signs downing Bush at the Bush event than the Kerry event. I guess it is obvious with those numbers that Nevada went Republican. Kind of interesting to look at a map of how states vote as a mass in the electoral college.
Jupiter and Venus and Moon
Besides the stars in Hollywood...
Boy Jupiter and Venus were sure bright in November 2004. What a view for those of us that work at night and were up at the pre-dawn moments. Wish I had a tripod.
Happy Birthday Wishes
When my great aunt turned 90 in August 2004, she got a card from President Bush and his wife. (I guess her friend ordered it, the government doesn't have a list to send people cards.)
Orange Juice might be high in carbs, but not the reason a lot of Americans are religiously counting carbs in 2004. Atkins dieters can't have this wonderful fruit! At least people following the South Beach diet can have fruit.
Did you see A Christmas Story? Here is the message in the decoder ring.
Hey carb counters, don't panic the orange growers of Florida and California. Don't forget to drink your orange juice!
A Pair of Mallard Ducks
One value that I hold is a love for the environment, and a desire to protect it from the growing population in our country. Yet, I grew up in rural area of Alaska hunting and fishing. This means, just like many Americans, even though I want to protect the environment, I grew up in a culture that hunts down and shoots the animals we want to protect! What a contradiction, yet it is common in America.
In the United States, Ducks Unlimited is a leader in wetlands conservation. Though the organization focuses on wetlands conservation, it seems that is because the members are often water fowlers who want to ensure they have prey to hunt. The first and last time I tasted duck, I discovered that there is no need for me to learn to hunt ducks. I personally prefer to see the mallard drake in artwork, that can also be purchased from Ducks Unlimited.
This picture was taken at the fish hatchery at the Bonneville Dam near Cascade Locks, Oregon.
More Reviews (17)
- See All National Automobile Museum
- Watch Out For Sleepy Truck Drivers
- See All Mojave Desert - Home of Joshua Trees
- See All Denny's
mcpangie's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
- Simferopol Hotels
- Bourg-Saint-Maurice Hotels
- Provincia de Monte Plata Hotels
- Kampong Tanjong Bendahara Hotels
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 598 Reviews
- 944 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 80 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ketchikan Intro, 77 reviews, 84 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 55 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- United States of America Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Dillingham Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nevada Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pyramid Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Talkeetna Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top United States of America hotels
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4178 Reviews - 7220 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 649 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9106 Reviews - 19355 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4378 Reviews - 8781 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1267 Reviews - 2919 Photos