"South Beach" Miami by Docu2001

Miami Travel Guide: 1,260 reviews and 2,922 photos

My first time ...

The first time I drove into Miami Beach I was 19 years old riding shotgun in my best friend’s ancient 1963 VW beetle. We had driven down to Miami from South Carolina where high school had just ended and college was a summer away.

South Beach wasn’t sleek yet - there were mostly lots of old men with long white Cadillacs taking their time as they baked in nylon pants and bone white cotton knit shirts with collars flapping against a bony chest. A Miami habitue of that time wore a Sam Snead straw hat on his head and soft caramel hush puppies on his feet. He’s still there.

But even with old men driving dangerously slow in long cars, Miami Beach was cool – it smelled better than other places.

January 2005

I was in Miami again in September, in between the hurricanes. I've been a number of times in recent years.

I visited Calle Ocho and environs and met some new friends and learned a little bit about spanish-speaking Miami ...

More in these pages to follow...

• In a nutshell:You need to be in the mood for Miami ... then flow with it
  • Last visit to Miami: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2005

• Aug 27, 2006 at 11:48 PM

to be on south beach again... sigh!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 1:22 AM

what a great life I imagine to be there all the year round

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 7:45 PM

Nice tips on my former haunt. Oh....back in those fresh, dewy days of the late 80s/ early 90s when SoBe was just starting to re-awaken...we sure miss those characters in the white polyester pants, though, don't we?!!!

• AnjaV's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2004 at 6:40 AM

Wondering ... what is "local" food in Miami? ;)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 6:17 AM

I have an idea The BirdCage is set in South Beach.

• Dec 9, 2003 at 7:44 AM

Lincoln road is probably one of the most european parts of u.s.a I have tried all of the restaurants,the italian pizza rest. located just in the middle is yummy:) Btw. Sebastian seems like a very promising man.Congratulations!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2003 at 11:28 AM

This is the hippest, cool junk booting page on Miami, Doc! I wondered who the *hipsters* were during the pre-Delano, pre-Tides era! I have an order of MOJO en route from Miami and a hankering for succulent Cuban cuisine for a party next week! ;-)

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2003 at 9:44 PM

Was that VW beetle "Herbie, the love bug"? ;-) Your restaurant tips made me hungry...!

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2003 at 11:48 AM

Um...the snapper cooked with lime sounds great!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2003 at 7:22 AM

How about the night life there?

Docu2001