"South Beach" Miami by Docu2001
Miami Travel Guide: 1,287 reviews and 3,055 photos
The first time I drove into Miami Beach I was 19 years old riding shotgun in my best friend’s ancient 1963 VW beetle. We had driven down to Miami from South Carolina where high school had just ended and college was a summer away.
South Beach wasn’t sleek yet - there were mostly lots of old men with long white Cadillacs taking their time as they baked in nylon pants and bone white cotton knit shirts with collars flapping against a bony chest. A Miami habitue of that time wore a Sam Snead straw hat on his head and soft caramel hush puppies on his feet. He’s still there.
But even with old men driving dangerously slow in long cars, Miami Beach was cool – it smelled better than other places.
I was in Miami again in September, in between the hurricanes. I've been a number of times in recent years.
I visited Calle Ocho and environs and met some new friends and learned a little bit about spanish-speaking Miami ...
More in these pages to follow...
- In a nutshell:You need to be in the mood for Miami ... then flow with it
I have never been to South Beach and not stopped for at least one meal, or stroll along the Lincoln Road Mall ... For... more travel advice
Clean rooms styled by the folks at Island ... who own a number of Miami and Caribean Hotels ... You might think you had... more travel advice
Docu2001's Related Pages
Miami Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNdER CONSTRUCTION - CHECK BACK LATER"
- "Miami - Escape from Winter Weather"
- "miami florida"
- "cobrioc's Miami Beach Florida Page"
- "MIAMI: ALWAYS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART"
- "M I A M I"
- "Best city in the US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miami
- Hotels in Miami
- Transportation in Miami
- Nightlife in Miami
- Restaurants in Miami
- Shopping in Miami
- Warnings and Dangers in Miami
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Miami
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Miami?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miami
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 33 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Trier Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Charleston Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Cologne Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Africa Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- California Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos