"Paris" Paris by Docu2001

Paris Travel Guide: 22,778 reviews and 56,441 photos

Someone asked me the other day about Paris, then yesterday I was reading a story about a writer who lived in the first half of the 20th century. And in this story there was a piece of a poem by another man, about the streets of Paris and the way they speak to you in a thousand different voices and colors and volumes, some whisper like soft skinned ladies with pale brown hair and light cotton blouses and then, on a different twist of a gray stone way you hear the voice change.
I've decided to freeze it - the image of Paris that I carry around - late 1950's Black & White film images ... the stories of Jacque Tati and his frequently bright, loving and sometimes melancholic descriptions of France as a collection of communities, each held together by shared experience and loyalty to each other as human beings and citizens of the Republic.

Paris is also about love ... and anyone who has a story about Paris, also has a story about a girl, or a guy, who they met one stormy, windy, humid night, a night of dancing without parallel ... and they burned bright for a very long time ... and even now ... in Paris windows, on any October afternoon, I expect to see her dark brown hair fold away and brush the window frame turning from the street and away.

• Last visit to Paris: Mar 1995
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2004

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 10:27 AM

Can't wait. I hope to be there for the month of December. And I will walk the streets just as I have done before, for hours, examining every nook and cranny. Funny how time can fly by while walking in Paris, Rome, and New York.

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2003 at 2:34 PM

As usual, Doc, this is brilliantly written. You've captured every essence of why I return to this city again and again. A "romantic liason" in Paris is a definite MUST SEE event one should never miss.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2003 at 8:34 AM

Quite superb and reminds me of that wonderful movie - La Maman et La Putain - which took me to Paris for 4 hours (paris in the 70s when I was young and forgot it was my mission to go to Paris) a few weeks back.

Docu2001