"52 years apart" United Kingdom by grandmaR
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 92,793 reviews and 218,502 photos
I've been to the UK twice.
Once in 1950 by ocean liner when my dad took my mom and my sister and I to Europe. We came to England from France by ferry (very rough crossing - even the crew were getting seasick, but we didn't except for my dad). I think we landed in Southampton, and went to London, Oxford and Cambridge (for medical meetings where my dad gave a paper), and then drove up to Edinburgh Scotland. I remember Gretna Green and Hadrians Wall.
Fifty two years later, my daughter is living in Cheltenham on a three year job exchange. I finally persuaded my husband Bob that we should go see her.
We got a Priceline ticket which came in to Gatwick, and I had goals to visit places that I knew I hadn't seen before. We did go back to London, but after that we went to Salisbury, Stonehenge, Avebury, Bath, up to Wales to see the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, and then rented a hire boat for a weekend.
grandmaR's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 181 Reviews
- 834 Photos
- 151 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- updated a United Kingdom Travelogue "Flying Home 1 August 2002"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Flying Home 1 August 2002"
- Wrote a Review American English vs English English in United Kingdom Local Customs
- Commented on one of Scotsgal's United Kingdom travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1712 Reviews - 3884 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1617 Reviews - 3908 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 476 Reviews - 889 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 440 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1218 Reviews - 1967 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3356 Reviews - 6585 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 884 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 796 Reviews - 1309 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 245 Reviews - 476 Photos
- Bristol Hotels
- 745 Reviews - 1659 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1248 Reviews - 2164 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 187 Photos
- Chester Hotels
- 470 Reviews - 1157 Photos