"Hamilton in Pembroke Parish" Hamilton by grandmaR
Hamilton Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 190 photos
The City of Hamilton, a port city, has been the capital and administrative, commercial, entertainment and shopping center of Bermuda since 1815. Unfortunately, there is also a Parish in Bermuda called Hamilton Parish, and Hamilton the city is not in Hamilton Parish.
I've done a walking tour of Hamilton - Places to visit in the city include Albuoy's Point, the Bermuda Historical Society Museum which is in the National Library, the Bermuda National Gallery which is in the City Hall, the Birdcage, Butterfield Bank, Cabinet Building, Cenotaph and War Memorial, Cathedral of St. Theresa, Par-la-Ville Park, Perot Post Office, Sessions House, and Victoria Park. And of course there is shopping.
We've been to Hamilton every time we have gone to Bermuda and we even stayed there in 1995. We have never stayed in Hamilton Parish
The top photo taken in 1995 is from a slightly different angle than this one taken in 1963, but the cathedral is still a landmark over the town. I think in this picture the building on the left is the hotel we stayed at in 1995.
We passed this building when walking from the bus station back to the hotel. I was fascinated by the building and found out that it is the Bacardi International Building. It is on Pitt's Bay Road, near city of Hamilton, between Waterloo House and the Princess Hotel where we were staying. It's not a tourist destination but it is the world-wide administrative headquarters of Bacardi. The distilleries are in the Bahamas and Puerto Rico. Bacardi was founded in Cuba in 1862 by Don Facundo Bacardi y Maso. It prospered there until Fidel Castro took control in 1959. When he nationalized the plant and assets, the corporation left Cuba, began afresh and picked Bermuda for their global Bacardi business. Today, Bacardi occupies this building, designed by Mies van der Rohe, and has since expanded it greatly.
Overseas businesses owned by Bacardi include the Scotch whiskey firm of Dewars, of Perth, Scotland.
- Pros:The best shopping in Bermuda
- Cons:Crowded and full of traffic
- In a nutshell:Bermuda's Capitol
I have not eaten here, but I have a picture. This establishment does sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts with a lemon... more travel advice
Sessions House is quite near here located on Parliament Street, between Reid and Church streets. T The Sessions House... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Hamilton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hamilton ~ Bermuda's Friendly Capital City"
- "Hamilton 1963 and Views from the Princess 1995"
- "HAMILTON BERMUDA"
- "Hamilton Night Life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hamilton
- Hotels in Hamilton
- Transportation in Hamilton
- Restaurants in Hamilton
- Shopping in Hamilton
- Warnings and Dangers in Hamilton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamilton
- 35 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Hamilton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamilton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues