"BDA (Bermuda's Airport)" Saint David's Island by grandmaR
Saint David's Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos
Saint Davids is now part of St. George's Parish. Originally it was one of the six principal, separate, Bermuda islands. It was connected to the mainland in the 1930's by the Severn Bridge, since dismantled. In 1942 during WWII they build the (now decommissioned) Fort Bell (US Army), then Kindley Air Force Base (USAF), then USNAS.
St. David's Islanders have a unique character and flavor. Some are descended from American Indians once imported as slaves or, in the 19th and early 20th centuries, to build the railway and other high or difficult structures, and carry the same features.
Bermuda's airport is in St. George Parish on St. David Island. When I flew into Bermuda in 1963 (on a propellor plane), this was what the airport looked like. (The slide has deteriorated a bit in the meantime.) I stayed in St. George because it was close to the airport (and thus a cheaper taxi ride) and because this whole area was where the air force and navy bases were. I could see the airport from my hotel.
The airport. It is accessed by a long bridge which originally was built for the long-defunct railroad. When we were leaving in 1995, I took this picture of the bridge. It was wild windy weather and the waves were crashing onto the bridge and the spray wetted the road. I was trying to catch the waves in this picture, but it's a bit too far away to see them.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saint David's Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Saint David's Island
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Saint David's Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint David's Island
Photos in Saint David's IslandSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues