San Miguel de Cozumel Warnings Or Dangers Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
San Miguel de Cozumel Warnings and Dangers: 2 reviews and 1 photos
Punta Langosta Pier shopping area
When we were in Cozumel in 1998, we heard from some cruise ship passengers that they had been warned about going into the back streets. This is complete balderdash.
Q: What does it mean when your cruise ship advises you of this:
"Shop at the many stores featured in Cozumel’s recommended shopping program."
A: It means they get a kick-back if you shop in the stores they recommend.
There will be guys at the doorways of most stores trying to steer you into the store - their mantra is "So cheap it is almost free". The further away from the docks the cheaper things get. And you will be able to bargain, whereas at the ship recommended stores, the prices are set. The stores closest to the coast and primarily Punta Langosta Pier are the most expensive catering to cruise ship passengers. The "shopping zone" extends back from the waterfront a few blocks and there is little chance of getting lost. It is not dangerous to walk around town.
Shops are generally open from 9 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 10 pm. Many shops close for siesta however, most stores near the pier will stay open during siesta hours and most stores are open all day during high season.
Shoppers may choose to pay in cash, either in pesos, US dollars or traveler's checks. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners Club and Discover cards are commonly accepted although the first two are more readily accepted then other credit cards.
NOTE: If you use your credit card write down the date and description of EVERY transaction.
More Reviews (14)
- See All Bike rickshaw
- See All All Bamboo
- Dive, Dive, Dive
- See All Stroll from the Waterfront to The Zólaco
grandmaR's Related Pages
San Miguel de Cozumel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cozumel for the Diving, Dec 1998"
- "San Miguel"
- "Frequent Visitor"
- "Cozumel - Cruise Attraction"
- "2002 Visit to Cozumel"
- "Cozumel - Island Resort in Gulf of Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Hotels in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Transportation in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Nightlife in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Restaurants in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Shopping in San Miguel de Cozumel
- Warnings and Dangers in San Miguel de Cozumel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Cozumel
- 15 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to San Miguel de Cozumel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Miguel de Cozumel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues