"Dive In" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Cozumel by grandmaR
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide: 583 reviews and 1,483 photos
We've been to Cozumel several times - the first time was in 1998 for the diving. Diving is the main reason to go to Cozumel as far as I am concerned.
Then in 2007, we went twice on two different cruise ships.
I can hardly believe that I didn't go back again until a trip with a granddaughter in 2013
We flew down separately. I had taken a bump on a flight from Atlanta, so I had a free round trip flight on Delta. I flew first to Cancun and then took a puddle hopper to Cozumel. When I landed in Cancun and went through immigration and went to get the following flight, the TSA took my dive wrenches away from me as they were tools and tools were not allowed. (I had them so I could attach my regulator to rental tanks). They gave the wrenches to the pilot. I don't know what they thought I would do with wrenches. Take the seats out of the plane?
Anyway, Bob had a ticket on AA which he hadn't used. The weekend that I took the bump, he was to have flown directly from BWI to Miami to spend the weekend with our daughter, and he decided not to go (and he should have because a boat that we wanted to buy would have been for sale then and we could have bought it). But he had this unused ticket, and he flew BWI to Miami and Miami to Cozumel. He got there first and they showed him to the room.
When I got there, I was unable to explain to the desk people that my husband was already there. (There was a language barrier.) So when I was shown to a room on the second floor and Bob was not in it, I knew I was in the wrong place. I went out on the balcony and yelled BOB. And he was waiting with the door open a little, and heard me, and so we were re-united.
Bob was taking a PADI OW course from Papa Hog's dive shop. I was already certified, so I was diving while he was taking classes. I did at least one night dive. The dive package I had included breakfast across from the dive shop in the morning. So we would take a taxi (about $6) out to the dive shop in the morning and eat breakfast, and Bob would take classes and I would dive. At night we would go out to restaurants to dinner. We also went to the Cozumel museum - the only photos I took there was of the dioramas - many of which show what the reefs look like underwater (but they were dioramas and not aquariums)
They did the in water exercises off the beach and Bob's head got sunburned and he also got a really bad chest cough (he may have had pneumonia) and felt terrible for a lot of the time. But he did pass the course and got certified.
I was doing a dive where we had to go through some caves. Someone took my dive camera to take my photo and when he gave it back to me, I didn't get it clipped on good, and the camera floated off in the caves. Maybe it is still there. Bob threatened that the next time I got a dive camera, he would attach it to a nipple piercing so I could not lose it.
Most of the photos I took were underwater pictures. I didn't take many photos above water. The photos in the narrative were taken before I lost my dive camera. Those photos are in the travelogues.
The cruise ships put shops at each stop that are branches of the main stores, and these stores are NOT local stores. You... more travel advice
The cruise ships provide their passengers with a list of recommended stores. All these stores have paid a fee in order... more travel advice
- See All Restaurant or Nightclub?
- Night Club
- See All Faro Celarain Eco Park
- See All El Caracol
grandmaR's Related Pages
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coz: Going with the flow (of the Yucatan Current)"
- "ISLA COZUMEL"
- "Dive In"
- "Western Caribbean Cruise"
- "A nice day trip from Playa del Carmen"
- "An Island to see and Shop"
- "Snorkelling Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Cozumel
- Hotels in Isla Cozumel
- Transportation in Isla Cozumel
- Nightlife in Isla Cozumel
- Restaurants in Isla Cozumel
- Shopping in Isla Cozumel
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Cozumel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Cozumel
- 34 Reviews
- 188 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Isla Cozumel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Cozumel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues