"Dive In" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla Cozumel by grandmaR

Isla Cozumel Travel Guide: 583 reviews and 1,483 photos

We've been to Cozumel several times - the first time was in 1998 for the diving. Diving is the main reason to go to Cozumel as far as I am concerned.

Then in 2007, we went twice on two different cruise ships.

I can hardly believe that I didn't go back again until a trip with a granddaughter in 2013

We flew down separately. I had taken a bump on a flight from Atlanta, so I had a free round trip flight on Delta. I flew first to Cancun and then took a puddle hopper to Cozumel. When I landed in Cancun and went through immigration and went to get the following flight, the TSA took my dive wrenches away from me as they were tools and tools were not allowed. (I had them so I could attach my regulator to rental tanks). They gave the wrenches to the pilot. I don't know what they thought I would do with wrenches. Take the seats out of the plane?

Anyway, Bob had a ticket on AA which he hadn't used. The weekend that I took the bump, he was to have flown directly from BWI to Miami to spend the weekend with our daughter, and he decided not to go (and he should have because a boat that we wanted to buy would have been for sale then and we could have bought it). But he had this unused ticket, and he flew BWI to Miami and Miami to Cozumel. He got there first and they showed him to the room.

When I got there, I was unable to explain to the desk people that my husband was already there. (There was a language barrier.) So when I was shown to a room on the second floor and Bob was not in it, I knew I was in the wrong place. I went out on the balcony and yelled BOB. And he was waiting with the door open a little, and heard me, and so we were re-united.

Bob was taking a PADI OW course from Papa Hog's dive shop. I was already certified, so I was diving while he was taking classes. I did at least one night dive. The dive package I had included breakfast across from the dive shop in the morning. So we would take a taxi (about $6) out to the dive shop in the morning and eat breakfast, and Bob would take classes and I would dive. At night we would go out to restaurants to dinner. We also went to the Cozumel museum - the only photos I took there was of the dioramas - many of which show what the reefs look like underwater (but they were dioramas and not aquariums)

They did the in water exercises off the beach and Bob's head got sunburned and he also got a really bad chest cough (he may have had pneumonia) and felt terrible for a lot of the time. But he did pass the course and got certified.

I was doing a dive where we had to go through some caves. Someone took my dive camera to take my photo and when he gave it back to me, I didn't get it clipped on good, and the camera floated off in the caves. Maybe it is still there. Bob threatened that the next time I got a dive camera, he would attach it to a nipple piercing so I could not lose it.

Most of the photos I took were underwater pictures. I didn't take many photos above water. The photos in the narrative were taken before I lost my dive camera. Those photos are in the travelogues.

• Last visit to Isla Cozumel: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Isla Cozumel

Have you been to Isla Cozumel?

Latest Activity in Isla Cozumel