"Toronto - Industrial Hygiene Convention - 1999" Toronto by grandmaR

Toronto Travel Guide: 4,305 reviews and 8,875 photos

I went to Toronto in June 1999 to attend a convention. We flew in on Sunday June 6, 1999 and left on Friday June 11, 1999. After hours, I toured Toronto.

Sunday night (June 6 - the day after our 40th wedding anniversary) I had dinner alone at Ruth's Cris Steak House - it was very expensive.

Monday afternoon I went shopping at Eaton Center for presents for two of my grandchildren who were having birthdays at the end of the month. I bought a lot of presents at the Disney store (even though I usually buy only souveniers made in the place I'm visiting and generally think Disney stuff is overpriced) and ate dinner there.

Tuesday afternoon, I walked along the waterfront. I had wanted to sail on the CHALLENGE because we had just bought our boat and I thought seeing them handle the sails would be interesting, but it was too early in the year. They were still only taking school trips during the week. But I did take a narrated boat tour of the lake where I got a marvelous view of the lakefront skyline.

See the Harbour tour travelogue for views from the lake.

I ate dinner at Queen's Quay and also bought presents for the rest of the family at the Canadian Naturalist (a much better place to get souveniers that are representative of Canada).

Wednesday evening (June 9, 1999), I went up the CN tower and had dinner at the 360 Restaurant which ROTATES (not revolves) 360 degrees around the center like the earth rotates on its axis. (I am told the actual name of the tower is NOT CNN but CN.)

Looking down through the floor (top picture) you can see the tour buses down below.

See the two travelogues of views from the CN tower.

I also have a travelogue just of views of the CN tower from various places in Toronto.

Thursday evening I ate dinner at the hotel and packed to go home on Friday June 11th where I got ready to leave again for a class in Salt Lake City Utah.

• Pros:Lively city
  • Cons:Cold in the winter
  • In a nutshell:Lakeside living
  • Last visit to Toronto: Jun 1999
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2003

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 5:45 PM

Your tips are incredibly informative and numerous. How joyful it must be to travel so...

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 7:10 AM

Good tips!! Hopefully I will have enough nerve to step on the CN Tower glass floor during my next visit in September!!

• epicult's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 6:06 PM

Thanks Grandma! 365 says a year cycling for this snow boy... -20 or 37 degrees the legs are still a pumpin'. I've decided to send you all my Toronto tips from now on. You've such a great base here. We'll call it a team effort. :-) Hope all is well... Te

• crazygal59's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 6:07 PM

I enjoyed your pages on Toronto. As a resident I found them very accurate. I was amazed by the fact that you were game to try all modes of travel around the city. Most people are to intimidated by a new city to try that. Good for you!.

• tatyanap's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 6:08 PM

What a wonderful page! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your tips!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 11:04 AM

My last trip to Toronto was also for a convention. It was great, but it was also a long time ago -- never mind when -- so your pages and tips brought back good memories!

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2004 at 4:04 PM

I wish I could live near the waterfront. Great T.O. page = )

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 2:13 PM

A remarkable indepth view of our city. You should come back on vacation and see more of our actual attractions.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 4:40 PM

Wow. That's quite descriptive. Thanks for the tip. I always enjoy a good tour of the sports culture when I visit a place.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2003 at 2:26 PM

looks like a beautiful city with lot's of things to do :-)

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Toronto

Have you been to Toronto?

Latest Activity in Toronto