Yorktown Things to Do Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Yorktown Things to Do: 50 reviews and 78 photos
The historic site of Yorktown Battlefield includes a Visitor Center with a 16 minute film, museum, sales shop and restrooms. We dropped in here at the end of the day, saw the film and we bought our Golden Age passport which gives us admission free or at reduced rates for life.
From here you are supposed to do the two self-guided auto tours that will allow you to enjoy and learn the history of the Siege of Yorktown at your own pace. A 7-mile Battlefield Tour Road, which takes about one hour, will give you a first-hand look at where the events of the siege took place. A second, 9-mile Encampment Tour Road, which takes about one-half hour, reveals the locations of the allied encampments during the siege, including Washington's Headquarters.
Also included in the National Park are parts of the Town of York, including the historic Nelson House. We didn't have enough time to do the whole battlefield tour, but because Bob's grandmother was a Diggs, we did go in to see the Dudley Digges house, built in the mid-18th century by Yorktown lawyer Dudley Digges, who held several important positions in Virginia's colonial and state government.
Directions: from the west: Take Interstate 64 East to the exit for Route 199 East, exit 242B. Follow Route 199 East to the Colonial Parkway, then follow the signs to the Yorktown Visitor Center.
Phone: (757) 898-2410
Monument in 1964
Lady Victory is on top of a pedestal of Maine granite. In 1956, the original figure of liberty, damaged by lightening, was replaced. The first picture is one that I took in 1964 when we lived in Norfolk. The other picture was taken at dusk in 2004
The shaft is 84 feet high and Liberty is 14 feet high Construction began a century after the battle, and it was completed in 1884.
There are informational signs which explain the importance of the battle.
Directions: Located on the southeastern end of Main Street in Yorktown, Virginia. There is also a path from the NHP Yorktown Battlefield Visitor's Center.
More Reviews (5)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Yorktown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "yorktown virginia"
- "Revolutionary War Site"
- "Yorktown, Williamsburg & Jamestown"
- "Historic Yorktown"
- "Yorktown: One of America's Most Historic Towns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yorktown
- Transportation in Yorktown
- Restaurants in Yorktown
- Shopping in Yorktown
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampung Johor Lama Hotels
- Villa Bisonó Hotels
- Glanmire Hotels
- International Falls Hotels
- Montenero di Bisaccia
- Gardone Riviera
Badges & Stats in Yorktown
- 7 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Yorktown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yorktown
Photos in YorktownSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues