"Between Two Rivers" West Point by grandmaR
West Point Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
Once the site of an Indian village named Cinquoteck, the West Point area, got its name when, in 1664, it became part of a large land grant made to Captain John West. A rail line was completed in 1859 to White House across the Pamunkey from West Point.
West Point is a community of 2,900 people located in King William County, Virginia. West Point, Virginia is not the location of the West Point Military Academy! That Army college is located in West Point, New York....
The 'point' of West Point is formed at the intersection of the Mattaponi and Pamunkey Rivers, which become the York River. West Point became incorporated in 1870 and was the shipping terminus for the City of Richmond. West Point was also the first terminus for the Richmond York River Railroad, another factor in the Town's growth.
In 1860, an iron drawbridge was built across the Pamunkey River. Now, with a swing span bridge on each side of town, state Route 33 goes through West Point connecting I-64 to the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck. Both bridges are more than 50 years old. State Route 33 in West Point is known as 14th Street, the midpoint of the old grid system laid out for the town in the late 19th century.
I've only rarely been to West Point because it isn't directly on US Route 17 which was my primary passageway on my many trips in the early 60s between Norfolk and Baltimore.
A shipyard built in 1917 and a pulp mill built in 1918 provided the town with income. You can smell the mill before you can see it. Paper mills smell to me like cabbage cooking.
This photograph shows two of the three main facets of West Point - the paper mill and the river access. The logs are... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
West Point Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in West Point
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to West Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Point
Photos in West PointSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues