"Watermen and their Wives" Tangier Island by grandmaR
Tangier Island Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 190 photos
Red sign out front says "This crab shanty supplies Fresh Seafood to the Fisherman's Corner Restaurant".
Tangier Island was visited in 1608 by Captain John Smith, who gave it the name. A part of the island was patented by Ambrose White in 1670. It was settled in 1686 by John Crockett and his son's families.
In 1814, it was the headquarters of a British Fleet ravaging the Chesapeake Bay. From here the fleet sail to attack Fort McHenry. The Rev. Joshua Thomas in a prayer correctly predicted the failure of the expedition (which was true and resulted in the words to the Star Spangled Banner being written).
Tangier Island has mostly been isolated from the mainland for many years and the men have made their living from the water. Now, most of their business is crabbing, particularly soft crabs.
There is a mail boat that comes each day from Crisfield, and there are now tourists that come on ferries from Crisfield, Reedville and Onancock in the summer and hunters that come in the fall and winter. In the summer people come on their own boats, and some come in their own planes. The island women do a considerable business housing and feeding the tourists.
- Pros:Quiet Vacation
- Cons:Limited Opportunities
- In a nutshell:Fishing Crabbing and Tourists
Bob got ice at the local grocery store, but if you've got a little boat and are going fishing, you can get ice and bait... more travel advice
- See All Beach
- See All Storms and Floods
- See All Walk
- See All Above Ground Burial
grandmaR's Related Pages
Tangier Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tangier Island
- Hotels in Tangier Island
- Transportation in Tangier Island
- Nightlife in Tangier Island
- Restaurants in Tangier Island
- Shopping in Tangier Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Tangier Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tangier Island
- 57 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (193)
Have you been to Tangier Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tangier Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues