"Victorian Village" Reedville by grandmaR
Reedville Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 171 photos
This house is not historically significant enough to be included in the Historic Main Street Walking Tour, but it is so lovely that I take a picture of it every time I'm here. The more notable buildings are under Local Customs tips
Reedville is named for Captain Elijah Reed, a sea captain from Maine who came down to this area in 1874 and saw in menhaden (a kind of small fish) a golden opportunity. Legend has it that, as early as the 1620's, the Indians taught the Pilgrims the value of burying menhaden in each hill of corn for fertilizer. By 1885, there were many menhaden factories on Cockrell Creek producing fish oil, meal and fertilizer from menhaden.
Factory owners and fishing boat captains who made their fortunes from menhaden built homes along what is now Main Street. The "Millionaire's Row" mansions are now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Reedville Fisherman's Museum has restored some of the oldest homes, and has information about the menhaden industry and the history of Reedville.
Menhaden fishing has declined until there is only the one Omega Protein plant remaining on Cockrell Creek. But Reedville is also a significant charter fishing center for Chesapeake Bay bluefish and rockfish with more than 50 boats operating out of the area.
The Northumberland Heritage Trail goes from the Reedville Historic District to the Heathsville Historic District, by following back roads along the Potomac and its tributaries.
Maps for self-guided walking tours (see the Historic Main Street tips) are available from the museum for free. You can walk the streets and look at the wonderful victorian houses that were build when menhaden was king. On the back of the walking tour map are directions for a tour by bike (or car) in a 24 mile or 12 mile loop.
In addition to the cruises to Tangier Island, cruises are available from Reedville to Smith Island in Chesapeake Bay at the KOA Campground near Reedville. For information, call 804-453-3430.
- Pros:Nice musuem and lovely town
- Cons:Very few facilities for tourist
- In a nutshell:The Menhaden center
We started to go to Fairport because we needed a pumpout. But when I called Fairport and they said their pumpout wasn't... more travel advice
I haven't done this tour, but I got the brochure on it at the Fisherman's Museum. Begin in the town of Reedville, where... more travel advice
- See All Kilduff Texaco
- See All Fish and Cats
- See All Shopping is "Free"
- See All Victorian Mansion
grandmaR's Related Pages
Reedville Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Reedville
- Hotels in Reedville
- Transportation in Reedville
- Nightlife in Reedville
- Restaurants in Reedville
- Shopping in Reedville
- Warnings and Dangers in Reedville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reedville
- 51 Reviews
- 170 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Reedville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reedville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues