"The Other Side of the River" Portsmouth by grandmaR
Portsmouth Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 114 photos
Portsmouth has been a ship building town from its founding in 1752. The Norfolk Naval Shipyard (which is here and not in Norfolk at all) was begun here in 1767, and it's repair record extends from nuclear powered submarines to the Confederate ironclad Merrimac. The first drydock built here in 1831 in still in use. Container ships regularly vist the docks between Pinner and Love Points.
When we lived in Norfolk, we never really visited Portsmouth. The main connection we had with Portsmouth was that if one was pregnant (which I was twice while living there), you had to go over to the Portsmouth Naval Hospital to have your baby. It was a toll tunnel and sometimes there were traffic tie-ups.
So I waited until Portsmouth was full for the month, and then went in to the clinic and they would give me permission to have the baby 'on the economy'.
Now it is notable mostly because Hospital Point (that same hospital) is the zero mile mark for the ICW.
Note: The reason that the Portsmouth shipyard is called the Norfolk Naval Shipyard and not the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is so that it is not confused with the shipyard in Portsmouth New Hampshire
This little red 'tugboat' came in to the dock while we were waiting for the ferrry. I thought it was SO cute. I don't... more travel advice
The Naval Shipyard Museum is in Portsmouth. But the shipyard is called the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. Which is confusing,... more travel advice
- See All Olde Towne Portsmouth
- 7th Annual Old Towne Scottish Walk...
- See All MM 000.6 Free Docks, Boat Ramps and...
grandmaR's Related Pages
Portsmouth Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Portsmouth
- Hotels in Portsmouth
- Transportation in Portsmouth
- Restaurants in Portsmouth
- Shopping in Portsmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portsmouth
- 23 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to Portsmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portsmouth
Photos in PortsmouthSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues