"Next to Fort Monroe" Phoebus by grandmaR
Phoebus Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
The latitude of Phoebus is 37.021N. The longitude is -76.318W.
The waterfront community of Phoebus has a rich history dating back to the early 1600's. Following the Civil War it became the home of veteran soldiers, freed slaves, and new businessmen.
According to the historic marker, "Settled as Mill Creek and Strawberry Banks by English Colonists, the Town of Phoebus was Roseland Farm until 1871 when it was divided into lots and became known as Chesapeake City.."
PHOEBUS, (3,500 pop.), is a fishing mart and residential town. During the fishing seasons, crowded lines of boats tie up along Mill Creek Wharf to dump their shimmering cargoes of shad, bluefish, croakers, spots, flounders, trout, oysters, and crabs.
When you use this area as an anchorage (and it is a very large and protected area for anchoring with I-64 on one side and Old Point Comfort on the other) you should be careful not to anchor so as to impede the commercial fishing boats that go out in the early hours of the morning.
The town is built on land once owned by Harrison Phoebus (11 Jan 1840 to 25 Feb 1886)..
When the town was incorporated in 1900, they named it after Phoebus.
Although Phoebus merged with the City of Hampton in 1952, it still retains much of its small town charm
The community is east of I-64 right at the end of a body of water known as Mill Creek. Mill Creek is actually a marsh which is not navigable and it has been farther cut off by the bridge to Fort Jefferson..
Although there has been a community here since the 1600s, it wasn't until after the Civil War that there was much... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Phoebus Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Phoebus
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Phoebus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phoebus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues