"Everyone Said "You Will Love Onancock"" Onancock by grandmaR
Onancock Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 116 photos
In 1680, after the Virginia Assembly?s Act of Cohabitation allowed each county to establish port-of-entry towns, Accomack County chose the small peninsula at the head of Onancock Creek called Port Scarburgh (the former name of Onancock) which was already well established.
In 1681, surveyor Daniel Jenifer, prepared a grid plan for the land at the head of the creek. At that time, Onancock Creek was the town?s lifeline--a valuable link to transportation, trade and communication. The creek is still important today. The Virginia DOT still uses the creek as a transfer point for barges of gravel and other materials.
In the language of the Indians, Onancock means "Foggy Place," and there was an Indian town near here when the white men first ventured into the area. Fortunately, we did not see any fog when we were here. Many homes in town today date from the first half of the 1800's. When the Union army occupied the peninsula during the Civil War, they singled out Onancock as the place that had "concocted more mischief....in the way of blockade running and disloyalty" than any other community on the Shore.
On January 1, 1842, Captain Stephen Hopkins opened a store, wharf and warehouse in Onancock, Va. Operating first under... more travel advice
Runninger's Pharmacy carries over-the-counter medications as well as sunblock, bug spray, disposable cameras, health and... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Onancock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A nice little town to visit"
- "Everyone Said "You Will Love Onancock""
- "Great history in a small town."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Onancock
- Hotels in Onancock
- Nightlife in Onancock
- Restaurants in Onancock
- Shopping in Onancock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Onancock
- 23 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Onancock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Onancock
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: Going to Key West for first..."
- updated a Onancock Travel Page "Everyone Said "You Will Love Onancock""
- Uploaded a Photo to "See the Old Store on Your Way to Mallard's"
- Wrote a Review See the Old Store on Your Way to Mallard's about Hopkins & Brothers Store in Onancock Things to Do
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Onancock tips
Photos in OnancockSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues