"Hampton Roads & Norfolk - Major Port and Navy Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Norfolk by grandmaR

Norfolk Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 350 photos

Naval Base

My husband was stationed in Norfolk from 1960 to 1964. But when we came to Norfolk by boat it gave us a whole different perspective. Norfolk is the zero mile marker where the main part of the ICW begins. It ends up in Key West FLorida. We've traveled this section of the ICW two times in each direction.

Homecoming

As we were crossing Hampton Roads, there were several Navy ships coming back from deployment. I thought we might be on the TV news, because there were helicopters hovering around.

Shipyards

Traveling on the Elizabeth River, one goes past the shipyards. Photo taken the year before 9-11

• Pros:A boating town - lots to see and do, and a jumping off place
  • Cons:Very big busy confusing harbor
  • In a nutshell:Navy Town
  • Last visit to Norfolk: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2012

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Great page! I really dislike the Crab Shack here so I certainly would not want to go to one on vacation. The ships are fascinating and we hope to take a cruise while visiting. Joyce

• Dec 11, 2005 at 7:43 AM

A very interesting page! I lked the waterside restaurant. Looks like such fun!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2004 at 9:25 PM

This is all so interesting, this traveling by sea. I found your pages informative, interesting, helpful to boaters, and well written. Some excellent pictures to accompany the great text.

• Easty's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2003 at 7:05 PM

Interesting naratives and great feature picture.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2003 at 7:50 PM

Travels with a grandma. And a grandpa too, I presume.

• daarth's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2003 at 1:25 AM

Nice reading :-) Boat-life on the canals is great!

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Norfolk

Have you been to Norfolk?

Latest Activity in Norfolk