Newport News Things to Do Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Newport News Things to Do: 7 reviews and 25 photos
Mariner's Museum figurehead and Monitor propellor
This was one of my objectives for this trip and one reason I wanted to stay in the Norfolk area. I remember going back in the early 60s with my parents and young toddlers, but Bob says he never has been.
We saw the new exhibit on the Chesapeake (which was new since my time), the conservation tanks with the guns and gun carriages from the Monitor (also new), and the August F. Crabtree miniature ship models (which are presented like jewels with magnifying glasses so you could really see the detail) which I remembered from before, the paintings, and the International Small Craft Center - a whole building with representative small boats from various nations. This latter exhibit used to be outside in a shed like the boats at the Solomons museum.
We saw the 6 minute movie on the Monitor recovery at 4, but did not get to see the longer movie because they didn't tell us that the longer movie was on the half hour instead of the hour and half hour like it said in the literature.
Hours Daily (Monday – Sunday): 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.
• Discounts are available for AAA, active-duty military, and persons ages sixty-five and above.
$6 Children ages six to seventeen
Free for children five and under
Address: 100 Museum Drive, Newport News, VA 23606
Directions: Take I-64 East toward Williamsburg- exit 258-A.
2.5 miles to the intersection of Warwick and J. Clyde Morris boulevards and take your first left onto Museum Drive. The Museum entrance is directly ahead.
Other Contact: 800-581-7245
More Reviews (8)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Newport News Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mariner's Museum"
- "Spot odd"
- "Newport News, VA"
- "Ocean, Ships, Wars"
- "chipandbrend's new Newport News Page"
- "Newport News: Maritime City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport News
- Nightlife in Newport News
- Restaurants in Newport News
- Shopping in Newport News
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport News
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pregny Hotels
- Malcesine Hotels
- Rrethi i Durresit Hotels
- Vredenburg Hotels
- Skala Oropou
- Wilaya de Rabat-Sale
Badges & Stats in Newport News
- 9 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Newport News?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport News
Photos in Newport NewsSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Newport News hotel reviews
- Ramada Inn Newport News
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 7, 2013