Newport News Favorite Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Newport News Favorites: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Menu of the Belgian Waffle and Steak House
Favorite thing: On the menu of the waffle restaurant was this story about the orgin of the name of the town. They repeated the story below and than said:
"Actually the name of Newport News originated 100 years earlier on the original voyage of Christopher Columbus. During his journey to the New World, his navigator was a Greek sailor whose name was also Chris. In order not to confuse the two Chris's, the navigator was referred to as Chris Two.
"Besides navigator, Chris Two was also the ship's cook. It seems that Chris Two was a much better cook than navigator and before long, Columbus's ships were lost.
"Running low on food and water, Columbus went to his navigator and ordered him to find a port where they could replenish their supplies. Chris Two told Columbus that there were no ports in the New World so Columbus told Chris Two to find a "New Port".
"The next day after sighting land, Columbus asked Chris Two if that was the new port, upon which Chris Two replied, "Sir if that's a new port, it's news to me!""
Fondest memory: According to the library, the origin of the name Newport News has been a puzzle. Nobody really knows how the city got its name.
"One popular explanation holds that when the first Jamestown colonists left to return to England after the Starving Time of 1610, they encountered Captain Christopher Newport's ship in the James River off Mulberry Island, and learned that reinforcements of men and supplies had arrived, and that the colonists need not abandon Jamestown. Thus the City was named for Newport's good news. That the name was formerly written as Newport's News is verified by numerous early documents and maps, and by local tradition. The change to Newport News apparently was brought about by usage, for by 1851 the Post Office Department sanctioned New Port News as the name of the first post office, and in 1866 it approved the name as Newport News."
More Reviews (8)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Newport News Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mariner's Museum"
- "Spot odd"
- "Newport News, VA"
- "Ocean, Ships, Wars"
- "chipandbrend's new Newport News Page"
- "Newport News: Maritime City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport News
- Nightlife in Newport News
- Restaurants in Newport News
- Shopping in Newport News
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport News
- See All...
Explore the World
- Irvine Hotels
- Bingen am Rhein
- Drac Hotels
- Broomes Island Hotels
- Lithia Springs Hotels
- Île de Bréhat
Badges & Stats in Newport News
- 9 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Newport News?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport News
Photos in Newport NewsSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Newport News hotel reviews
- Ramada Inn Newport News
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 7, 2013