"Mariner's Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport News by grandmaR
Newport News Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 100 photos
They took the statue of Eric the Red which used to stand outside the Mariner's Museum and replaced it with a sphere, and brought old Eric inside - he's much less impressive inside.
I always thought that Gildersleeve was just a fictional character. But it turns out that some people really have that name, and there are a number of schools who are named after those people.
The primary thing I remember about Newport News (which is part of the Hampton Roads area) is the Mariner's Museum. I made frequent trips from Norfolk to Baltimore (whenever my husband's squadron went out to sea, I went home). We visited the museum- otherwise we didn't stop off at Newport News.
Population 180,150 (2000 census)
School enrollment 33,000
Area 69.2 square miles
Incorporated 1896 (Consolidated with Warwick County in 1958)
From the FAQ on Newport News:
"Newport News is located on the world's greatest natural harbor, Hampton Roads, and is home to one of the largest military complexes in the world. Newport News, long known as one of the world's major shipbuilding centers, is emerging into a high-tech future with such attractions as the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility and Canon Virginia. Newport News Park, one of the largest municipal parks in the United States offers a variety of recreational activities."
"The Newport News city seal was adopted in July 1958. The city seal depicts the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery inserted in a silhouette of the Court Elm. The ships symbolize discovery of the area by Captain Christopher Newport and the tree recognizes the history of Warwick. (Times-Herald, May 20, 1958, p. 13)
The Court Elm (Court House Elm or Charter Elm) is standing at Richneck. "For the major portion of the seventeenth century there was no court house in Warwick where the commissioners might sit. For their monthly meetings they were accustomed to assemble at the home of one or another of the commissioners.""In summer the commissioners are said to have gathered under the shade of a huge elm tree to carry on county business." (Jester, Annie Lash. Newport News, Virginia, 1607-1960. 1961. p.28) "
- In a nutshell:Maritime and Military
Lake Maury is a 167 acre lake on the grounds of the Mariner's Museum. It was named for Virginian Mathew Fontaine Maury... more travel advice
Around the Mariner's Museum is a 550 acre park, with a running trail, a lake, picnic areas, and benches. The park is... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Newport News Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mariner's Museum"
- "Spot odd"
- "Newport News, VA"
- "Ocean, Ships, Wars"
- "chipandbrend's new Newport News Page"
- "Newport News: Maritime City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport News
- Nightlife in Newport News
- Restaurants in Newport News
- Shopping in Newport News
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport News
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport News
- 9 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Newport News?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport News
Photos in Newport NewsSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Newport News hotel reviews
- Ramada Inn Newport News
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 7, 2013