"Jamestown - 1607" Top 5 Page for this destination Jamestown by grandmaR
Jamestown Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 255 photos
In 1964, my parents came down to visit us in Norfolk and one of the excursions we took was to Jamestown. We went to the state park, and the glass house. In 2005, on our way north in the spring, we visited the NPS part of Jamestown, and also saw the glass house and took the loop drive which is under Jamestown Island
"May 13: 104 male settlers arrive at site they name James Cittie and establish the first permanent English settlement in the New World.
May 26: Paspahegh Indians attack the colonists, killing two and wounding ten.
June 15: James Fort is completed.
September 10: The Council accuses Councilor George Kendall of causing discord, and he is placed under arrest on the Discovery. He is later executed.
September 12: The Council finds President Edward M. Wingfield guilty of libel and he is deposed; John Ratcliffe takes his place.
December 10: Capt. John Smith leads expedition up the Chickahominy in search of food and is captured. "
The history of Jamestown links up with that of Bermuda -
May: James I issues the second charter to the Virginia Company; the "third supply" of nine ships and 500 immigrants leave England bound for Virginia.
July 24: A hurricane sinks one ship; the flag ship Sea Venture (with Thomas Gates, George Somers, John Rolfe) is tossed about for four days before lodging on a reef in Bermuda; all 150 on board and the supplies are saved; the colonists begin rebuilding two boats from the wreckage.
August: Seven remaining vessels arrive in James Cittie with 200-300 passengers."
This is in the STATE park - not the National Park. I suspect that this part of the state park has changed. Apparently... more travel advice
Food and drinks are not allowed inside the museums or the outdoor living-history areas. Photography and video/audio... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Jamestown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamestown - First settlement"
- "Jamestown - 1607"
- "jamestown virginia"
- "Jamestown, Virginia 2001"
- "Historical Jamestown Settlement"
- "Jamestown - first permanent English colony"
- "Jamestown Settlement"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jamestown
- Transportation in Jamestown
- Shopping in Jamestown
- Warnings and Dangers in Jamestown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jamestown
- 19 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Jamestown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jamestown
Photos in JamestownSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues