"Great Bridge Bridge and Great Bridge Lock" Great Bridge by grandmaR
Great Bridge Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 33 photos
Between our first and second trip through Great Bridge in 2001 and 2002, the bridge at Great Bridge changed from this relatively low key swing bridge to the huge enormous bascule bridge below.
The Great Bridge Lock and the Great Bridge Bridge coordinate the openings. The bridge only opens on the hour, but the lock does two lockings an hour - one southbound to coincide with the bridge opening, and one northbound after the bridge opening. This makes sense, but most guides only address southbound, and assume (wrongly in our case) that if you are coming north that you will have already done the southbound trip and will know the drill.
I still wasn't quite able to see how the lock could just open once an hour and still do both south and northbound vessels.
The way it actually worked was that the bridge called the lock and told them what was coming north, and the lock told him who was coming south. When all the southbound vessels got there, the bridge opened. Then the northbound vessels went directly into the lock.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Great Bridge Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Great Bridge
- 10 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Great Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Bridge
Photos in Great BridgeSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues